Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Geneva (ish...)

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancescaBaerald View Post
    You've done a great work!
    Thanks Francesca !

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Fantastic work once again Joel ! The only thing I could comment would be the green and red colors. Something a little more subdued could have worked a little better in my eye but it's really nitpicking. I'll have to come back later for some rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    Looks great, JO! I do concur with Thomas and Greg about the colors, but aside from that it's a great map. And that's a neat idea, learning by remaking. Keep at it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I agree with Thomas about toning down the greens a little, but overall you've done a mighty fine job on this Joel!
    Thanks for your comments ! I do agree that the green is very "vibrant"... But it's the kind of colors used on the map that I used as a model. I was surprised that an ancient map would have such almost fluorescent colors, and I spent a lot of time to find the most similar color, but it was so...
    Maybe the picture I took from the original don't show very well the strength of those colors....

Interesting, and very nice result ! I kinda agree with the others about the colors, but you did fine emulate the original.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Nicely done, you can't go wrong learning from the old masters!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Interesting, and very nice result ! I kinda agree with the others about the colors, but you did fine emulate the original.
    Thanks Ilanthar... I think I'm gonna try to lower the intensity of that green, just to see the result... But I picked that map in my book because the green were so flashy..

Quote Originally Posted by Wired View Post
    Nicely done, you can't go wrong learning from the old masters!
    Absolutely... and from the young master as you, too !

I tried to lower the intensity of the colors by 30%... it seems to me that the map catch less the eyes... let me know what you think ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vauban Geneve guilde 2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	9.97 MB 
ID:	103524

I think the green are much better now. But in the end, it's only a matter of taste and speaking for myself, I'm rarely inclined to saturated or bright colors.

Wow, that looks very great, Jo! I have something similar in the past, and it's great practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I think the green are much better now. But in the end, it's only a matter of taste and speaking for myself, I'm rarely inclined to saturated or bright colors.
    Thanks ! I'm glad if you like it ! I must admit that less saturated green reinforce the « old » aspect of the whole map !

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Wow, that looks very great, Jo! I have something similar in the past, and it's great practice.
    Thanks ! I know I learnt some tricks with this map, but mostly I learnt to use different brushes of the software when I tried to copy the style of coloration. I hope I won’t forget it in the future... (as I'm use to forget the processes I used after a while...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12