Thread: Hey, I'm new here and to cartography!

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Map Hey, I'm new here and to cartography!

Hey everyone, Brand new to this world. I was recently introduced to Dungeons & Dragons by a friend, and it has consumed all of my creative attention. I just love being able to jump into a world and make sense of it's structure. My cousin (a lifelong gamer) had once purchased CC3 but never learned to use it. When he found out that I was newly obsessed he let me have a go at it. Very interesting stuff. I have since bought my own copy of cc3+ and am just now learning the ropes. Excited to see what there is to learn here! Here is my first completed map!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhaleDutchy.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	977.5 KB 
ID:	103440

Cheers!

Philip

Hi Philip and welcome to the Guild. That's a very nice map. Have some rep for sharing a map in your first post.

There are a number of CC3+ mappers here (check out the maps by Mouse and Tonnichiwa for inspiration), so if you need some help or want to bounce some ideas off someone, I'm sure they'll be around to offer advice.

If you need help finding your way around the Guild, just holler.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Post Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Hi Philip and welcome to the Guild. That's a very nice map. Have some rep for sharing a map in your first post.

There are a number of CC3+ mappers here (check out the maps by Mouse and Tonnichiwa for inspiration), so if you need some help or want to bounce some ideas off someone, I'm sure they'll be around to offer advice.

If you need help finding your way around the Guild, just holler.

WHAAA! Thanks!

Hello Philip

Welcome to the Guild

That's a really great first map. You seem to have gotten the hang of the software relatively fast.

Question Thanks and...

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hello Philip

Welcome to the Guild

That's a really great first map. You seem to have gotten the hang of the software relatively fast.
    Hey Mouse, thanks much! It seems fast but I have been putting in huge amounts of time following the Sweeny tutorials on youtube and doing quite a bit of trial & error, troubleshooting, and all that Jazz. I appreciate the feedback. I know I could probably look around but since you're a man of repute & a CC3+ user, do you know of any galleries/albums that are dedicated to the CC3+ Overland/City/Dungeon maps? I'd really like to see where other people are taking the software.

Cheers!

Philip

Hey Philip

I must have a very strong online 'voice', or something, since nearly everyone starts out thinking I'm a man. But that's ok. Its good, in fact, since a writer needs a good strong 'voice' - so don't you feel at all bad about that

As ChickPea indicated above, there are lots of CC3 Users here at the Guild, but we aren't always easy to identify. That's because we mingle with everyone else and in my particular case I also blend my use of CC3 with GIMP, Krita, Sketchup, Blender... and lots of other software apps - using CC3 as one of the main tools in my mapping toolbox, rather than as a standalone mapping app. Many of my maps are hybrid maps that contain parts that were done in CC3 mixed with parts that were done in other apps.

There is a Campaigning Cartographer's Group that has a small album, but Groups are not terribly visible so people tend to forget to update them, which is why the album is so small ('people' including me, I'm afraid).

If you are interested in seeing maps that are exclusively CC3, but don't have the time to look around and identify them one at a time here at the Guild, you could always join the Profantasy Forum, where ALL the maps are CC3. That's where you will also find the CC3 Community Atlas, which is an impressive collection of all different kinds of maps based on a single fantasy world called Nibirum. There is also currently a first anniversary competition taking place that might be fun to join?