Thread: Tastail

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map Tastail

Hello !
    Here's a quick map I've made to test some techniques. Entirely made with Procreate on Ipad (except for labels, compass and title)
    I wanted to mix what I've learned on procreate, with brushes and colors, and the lineart I try to learn from some members of the guild (mountains and coasts, mostly)
    The resolution is too low (for labels), but the point was to be quick and learn from this test
    Critics and comments are welcome !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	803.5 KB 
ID:	103523

Overall I like it

Your drawing skills are maturing to a lovely fluid state where things are starting to 'come out' far more naturally than before - with greater confidence than ever.

The thing I'm not really all that keen on is the way the green colour has sort of drowned the variation of orange and yellow in the eastern portion of the land. I think perhaps if the olive green of the land wasn't quite so strong the blue-green of the forests would work better with the orange and yellow hues in the east. However, if you dampen the olive green and enhance those orange and yellow hues, you might also find it necessary to 'dumb down' the intensity of the ocean blues just a wee bit.

I could talk all day about relative colours of things, though, so don't you worry too much about me and my 'colour thing'!

Very nice little map Jo (: It's got a very light hearted feel about it, which I like a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Overall I like it

Your drawing skills are maturing to a lovely fluid state where things are starting to 'come out' far more naturally than before - with greater confidence than ever.

The thing I'm not really all that keen on is the way the green colour has sort of drowned the variation of orange and yellow in the eastern portion of the land. I think perhaps if the olive green of the land wasn't quite so strong the blue-green of the forests would work better with the orange and yellow hues in the east. However, if you dampen the olive green and enhance those orange and yellow hues, you might also find it necessary to 'dumb down' the intensity of the ocean blues just a wee bit.

I could talk all day about relative colours of things, though, so don't you worry too much about me and my 'colour thing'!
    Thanks Mouse for your comments... Actually I’m not sure I understand you completely. I chose a different color in the eastern part of the map, because I wanted to practice deserts and cliffs. Maybe it’s that change that disturbed you ? I must admit this map was really a practice for different elements and I didn’t thoughts too long to make the colors match together....

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Very nice little map Jo (: It's got a very light hearted feel about it, which I like a lot!
    Thanks ! Another point I wanted to practice was the speed : the software tells me that the file was opened for 4hours and 26 Minutes (plus 1 hour - more or less - for the labels on PS)... so it’s interesting for me to know that I can be quick (relatively)...

Hey its ok - I did say not to worry about me and my colour thing

I forgot to rep you for your drawing!

I should remedy that now

EDIT: Apparently, though, I've repped you quite recently for something else? Maybe I did rep you for that. I just can't remember stuff as well as I used to

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hey its ok - I did say not to worry about me and my colour thing

I forgot to rep you for your drawing!

I should remedy that now

EDIT: Apparently, though, I've repped you quite recently for something else? Maybe I did rep you for that. I just can't remember stuff as well as I used to
    No problem !
    Meanwhile, here’s a video (it’s in the wrong way) of the whole process :

I think the first word that pops to mind when looking at this is 'cute'. Certainly in a good way, it's an adorable little map. I can certainly see your improvement with your lineart, well done. Keep at it, go JO go!

Edit: Can't rep you right now, sorry about that!
    Last edited by Kellerica; 01-22-2018 at 06:20 AM.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    I think the first word that pops to mind when looking at this is 'cute'. Certainly in a good way, it's an adorable little map. I can certainly see your improvement with your lineart, well done. Keep at it, go JO go!

Edit: Can't rep you right now, sorry about that!
    Thanks a lot Kelleri ! I do try to go, as fast as I can (for someone of my age... ! )

No problem for the REP ! There’s no obligation

The map is nice, simple and efficient. That's a perfect cocktail ! And kudos for the video process !

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    The map is nice, simple and efficient. That's a perfect cocktail ! And kudos for the video process !
    Thanks !
    The vidéo is made by the Procreate application.. I just pressed a button