Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tribute Map

Default Tribute Map

Recreate a map from a book or series by one of your favorite authors who has passed away. It could be any theme so long as it is recognizable as a tribute when compared to the original version of whichever map the individual participant chooses.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

That's an interesting suggestion.
    "Mind is Emergent of Matter"

I wouldn't want to be a wet blanket on this idea. I actually started doing exactly this for a previous challenge, but I got worried about copyright issues and contacted the copyright owner. The owner didn't mind me making the map, but refused to allow it to be shown anywhere online, since in their eyes that was the point at which I lost control of what might happen to the map, even though I wasn't trying to sell it or make a profit from it in any way for myself.

I really don't know where any of us stand where doing this sort of thing is concerned more generally speaking - especially since the book I was mapping at the time has literally billions of pieces of 'fan art' available online - all of it presumably without the permission of the copyright holder.

All I know is that I would hate to see anyone jumped on from a very great height by any of the current copyright holders.

That's because you alway ask for permission Mouse Just do it and they wouldn't care. There is a whole collectibles industry based off of people making sculptures of popular characters and selling them, which is way beyond making personal works for a contest.

I suppose it would be all right.

I just didn't want any of my friends getting into any hot water.

I wonder if anyone has a sort of unofficial list of copyright holders that are best avoided - ones that have been known to shred little mappers before?

Copyright issues could indeed be a problem that I didn't think about. The other issue might be limited material to select from (again something that I didn't think about when posting the suggestion). Not sure what kind of solutions there might be to such issues. Might be that we would have to get permission to do a tribute sort of thing for individual works. Not really sure how that would work though.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Blog Entries

i am assumming that you are referring to " Ursula K. LeGuin" and the ES books
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Sure it could be Ursula but there are others as well, say Gene Roddenberry (did I spell that right?) and a map of the enterprise or anything along those sorts of lines.
    GW

I think people are over concerned about the copyright thing. There's arguments for both sides, but in the end I think the internet speaks for itself. There is fan art beyond count on the internet, and the maps produced in this challenge would just be a dozen other pieces of fan art on the web. We're not selling it, and the challenge clearly states that it's a tribute; no one is claiming it as their own.

That aside, I like this idea for a challenge a lot!

I'm also for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast