Thread: Help With Geography / Commissioned Work

Help Help With Geography / Commissioned Work

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to get help in a game project that I've started with a friend of mine. We're still very much in the starting stages of development. I can't divulge to much, because there isn't much to share right now anyway. What I can say is, that we're going to go for a medieval mix with steampunk. A 70/30 mix. 70% medieval influence with a subtle 30% mix of steam punk.

I went ahead and threw together a rough outline of the world for this project.

The World Map
    https://sta.sh/0cyhzehslnk

World Builder Tool I used incase anyone is interested
    http://bl.ocks.org/Azgaar/b845ce22ea...a4ecfb914f51bd

What I am asking is for someone who KNOWS geography to help flush out the finer details of where the game will take place. Namely, geological features. Forests, rivers, lakes, islands, and mountains. Something to help spruce up the area where the game will take place.

Game Area
    https://sta.sh/0e4ni0g1jwy

I'm also looking to find someone that is good at drawing maps. I'd like them to recreate the Game Area with all the added geological features. So, if you can do both, that would be fantastic.

This is commissioned work by the way. I'm not asking anyone to volunteer their time. You will be compensated for your efforts. Ill leave rates to you. But payments will be made through PayPal, in US currency, and be labelled as "Goods and Services".

If you're interested, either message or leave a comment. If you have questions, please leave them in the comment section so that other people can read them.

I can reached the quickest on Twitter IM
    @MooreMadMan

Lead Writer
    Richard "MadMan" Moore

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Hello Richard,

the easiest way to get good responses to your request is if you structure it along the lines of this template here. That way we get all the necessary information we need to know in one swoop - and can decided whether or not we can actually help you in the first place!

That being said, I might be interested in helping you there. This here, for example, was also done for a game project. Please check out my Portfolio or my DA gallery, and feel free to contact me at wolfmaster [at] gmx [dot] net .

I'm looking forward to your email!

Sincerely,

--Sebastian

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

An e-mail address would be useful.

I've sent you a PM through twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    An e-mail address would be useful.
    I'm not really in the habit of handing out my email address. Which is why I provided my Twitter account. It's easier to block / mute someone on Twitter than it is with email. Nothing personal. I hope you understand.

Twitter
    @MooreMadMan

Honestly, doing a commission entirely via Twitter sounds like a nightmare to me. Why... why do you think that you would need to block and mute professional cartographers? What? What exactly do you think we'd be emailing you that would require blocking? I have my email address literally available on my website, because that's how I get work. Yes, I get spam occasionally. I just hit 'mark as spam' and move on with my life. Much like i'm sure you're hoping to hit 'mute'. So remove your email address after you've hired someone. Use a throwaway email address.

When I do a commission for a map, I'm handling large amounts of data that simply won't fit in a tweet. Trying to organize hundreds of tiny little messages into the information I require sounds tedious at best, and impossible to keep track of at worst. You're also, by providing only one method of responding to you, limiting the pool of potential responses. Not everyone tweets, and I'm assume that since you're paranoid about your email address, you're not responding to anyone who posted their email address as a method of contact.

Downright odd, to me. I mean yeah, I tweeted at you, but it's still odd.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I also sent you a message on twitter!

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madmanmoore View Post
    I'm not really in the habit of handing out my email address. Which is why I provided my Twitter account. It's easier to block / mute someone on Twitter than it is with email. Nothing personal. I hope you understand.

Twitter
    @MooreMadMan
    I think you can add your email-address in your member account - it's not visible to everyone, but allows to write you an email.
    Whatever, your call.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

I'm with Tiana here. Only Twitter? No go for me
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I guess what Richard means here is he wants the first contact to be made through twitter, not the whole work.