Thread: How do I make custom terrain textures?

Default How do I make custom terrain textures?

Hey all!

I've been a MASSIVE fan of Pasis' tutorials on mountains and realistic satellite style terrain.

A big problem I have though is that I'm poor and don't have the means to buy good textures or the equipment to create my own.

I was wondering if anyone had access to resource on how to make your own grass, rock, dirt and water textures in photoshop. I know there's tutorials out there for making your own forests so trees wouldn't be an issue.

I've seen some tutorials out there on how to make rock textures that have worked to some degree but I want more. Any help?

The easiest way to make those textures is with a camera. (Your cell phone?)

I don't know where you live, but many if not all those textures should be readily available.
    - Grass in the park.
    - Side walks and pavement textures.
    - Landscaping rocks.
    - Gravel and sand are virtually everywhere.
    - Same with water textures.
    - And for variety, try coffee grounds, mulch, an old mouse nest, particle board, roofing shingles, rusty metal, crumpled up paper that's been flatten out, walls (interior and exterior), worn flooring in a public building, lots of stuff in a playground, tree bark, carpeting, etc...

You can always change the colors to meet your needs.

And deviantART has an incredible number of free textures and images in the 'Resources and Stock Images' section. But you'll need to check the licensing information in for each item - it varies from free for any use without out attribution to a Creative Commons license, depending on the author.
    Last edited by bkh1914; 02-08-2018 at 09:09 PM. Reason: more ideas