Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [NEED ADVICE] What is the ballpark price range for getting a map designed?

Help [NEED ADVICE] What is the ballpark price range for getting a map designed?

Hi everyone,

I am a University student studying in Melbourne and have recently been hired by an author to design a map for his fantasy novel. This is my first professional project so I don't really have any idea of what kind of payment I can expect. Hence, I was hoping you guys could help give me some idea! I am quite new to the forums but so far I have been both amazed and inspired by the work I've seen around the forums and am excited to learn some new techniques from you guys!

Thanks for your help!

have recently been hired by an author
    And the price has not been decided yet?
    The price will depend on the kind of map, size, quantity of details and talent of the artist.
    Without knowing this, it could be anywhere from 50 to 500$.

I'm about to break a taboo here but heck.

Here are my low prices for standard size maps without fancies.
    - 150 € for a black & white map.
    - 250 € for a parchment with few colors.
    - 350 € for a full color map.

If the map is larger, I ask for more. If there are illustrations needed, this is extra too.

If the client needs the rights to the map, he has to pay extra and I'm talking multiples of the base price.

With these kind of prices, I lose a lot of commissions (maybe it's because I'm not good enough but I'm not bad either) and I still think my prices are not high enough.

I'd recommend not to go lower than that. You can also set yourself an hourly rate and estimate the time needed to complete the map but all in all, the one thing not to forget is that you sell art, not beans, it comes at a price.

My two cents (sic).

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post

If the map is larger, I ask for more. If there are illustrations needed, this is extra too.

If the client needs the rights to the map, he has to pay extra and I'm talking multiples of the base price.

With these kind of prices, I lose a lot of commissions (maybe it's because I'm not good enough but I'm not bad either) and I still think my prices are not high enough.

I'd recommend not to go lower than that. You can also set yourself an hourly rate and estimate the time needed to complete the map but all in all, the one thing not to forget is that you sell art, not beans, it comes at a price.

My two cents (sic).
    Yes, my numbers are rather close to that, at least for private commissions. However, specifics may diverge depending on license, size and level of detail.
    Last edited by Wired; 02-14-2018 at 10:50 AM.

I'm no expert at all (just a few commissions for me, right now), but yeah, that's pretty much my range of prices as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I'm no expert at all (just a few commissions for me, right now), but yeah, that's pretty much my range of prices as well.
    Let me tell you you're way under your value, then !

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Let me tell you you're way under your value, then !
    All three of you are.

I'm glad you said that D, since I was sitting here thinking I'd be on about Ł10 a map if I ever went pro! LOL!

From experience, I won't even discuss b/w maps below 200 euros and an honest minimum price point I usually start talking is around 400 euros. The most I've ever charged for a map (thus far) is 1500 euros. This is all limited licenses, without full rights.

One of the things to keep in mind with a commissioned map is that you will spend a lot of time just figuring out the world, the story behind it, the best way to depict it and so on. There will be a lot more back and forth and communication with the author, than with a simple illustration, and frankly: time is money. Every email sent and received is a cost to you, the artist.

I think that's why I mostly do commissioned art, and not full-on maps, these days!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9-bridge-web.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	104528

My two cents (sic).
    And i was thinking my prices are high. I am pricing about the same and everytime i hear the same from clients "oh man that is way too expensive for me".

I haven't got any commission with satisfactory payment in a long time.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast