Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ostwyc, the Lion City

It's coming good. No doubt you're putting in a huge amount of work.. I mean really long hours, for sure.
    Plausibility is fine, roads and overall shape of the neighbourhoods. But... Wouldn't such a massive city have far more civic buildings? It's really lacking in landmarks, in my humble opinion, perhaps they all concentrate on the west side of the lake for some mystical reason

Btw, I already love the location for that amphitheatre you've got planned in the NW.

... sent from mobile ...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Wouldn't such a massive city have far more civic buildings? It's really lacking in landmarks, in my humble opinion, perhaps they all concentrate on the west side of the lake for some mystical reason
    Thanks Pixie! When you say civic buildings, you're referring to things like temples and stuff? Because there's a ton of those in the existing half already. Maybe they're a bit small? I'm not really sure how large civic buildings are supposed to be: is 25 meters along the longest axis a lot, or should I go much larger still? I'm asking because the majority of the "larger" buildings are roughly 20 - 25 meters in length at the moment. I had intended to label a whole bunch of them afterwards, but if you're saying they're too small, now's the time to go a-fixing that.

However, I am currently doing the finishing touches to a massive forum structure in the western half of the city. think colonnaded squares, large halls with marble floors, a circular pool, manicured lawns flanked by stately cypresses, libraries, archives, a court of law, ... I haven't quite finished it yet, but you can find the current stage below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ostwyc_15.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	4.47 MB 
ID:	105484
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Update!

Name:	Ostwyc_16b.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	4.64 MB 
ID:	105513

I also changed some building blocks in the already existing parts of the city into one large building (or sometimes two). Does this solve the issues you had with missing landmarks, Pixie?
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 03-15-2018 at 05:01 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    So I went back to that stepped terrain thingy and redid most of it. In the original version the valley walls were sloped roughly at a 45° angle, while I actually wanted the valley floor to be fairly flat, and the walls to be pretty steep - a typical glacial valley with a lake at the bottom. I could have changed that by lowering the difference in brightness of the lower levels and upping it in the higher elevations, but that's just lazy people talk!
    Hi Caenwyr, this is looking amazing. What was your procedure for producing the terrain? Did you work on 1 greyscale layer at a time in Wilber, then reimport back into PS, or were you Wilbering all layers in one go then just adding new layers on top after each Wilberization?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonquani View Post
    Hi Caenwyr, this is looking amazing. What was your procedure for producing the terrain? Did you work on 1 greyscale layer at a time in Wilber, then reimport back into PS, or were you Wilbering all layers in one go then just adding new layers on top after each Wilberization?
    Hi Tonquani, thanks for asking! I produced the terrain layer by layer in Photoshop. You can actually follow my progress on that in the first set of posts on this thread. Once I had finalized the topmost layers, I imported the image in Wilbur, eroded it just enough to get rid of the most horrible stepping effects et voilà!

it sounds easier (and certainly less time-consuming) than it really was though.

--------------------------------

Alright, update! Some more city blocks, a temple and a tower on the eastern hills, and a bazillion nearly invisible tweaks. Oh by the way Tonquani, I edited the terrain model to get the shading of that temple plateau correct, because that's how much of a perfectionist I am! Not that my wife agrees.

Name:	Ostwyc_17.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	4.77 MB 
ID:	105594
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

This begin to be a real beauty, I love the lightings and colors effects, go on !

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    This begin to be a real beauty, I love the lightings and colors effects, go on !
    Thanks Tenia, and I will! Below you'll find my most recent progress. Slowly creeping towards that northern wall there.

Name:	Ostwyc_18.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	4.88 MB 
ID:	105708
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

I love this project, it´s quite inspiring. If you would ask me for suggestions, it´s quite hard, to say something. Maybe the shape of the lake could be pimped up and maybe the mountains reliefs seem to be too detailled for the cities scale

Quote Originally Posted by randigpanzrall View Post
    I love this project, it´s quite inspiring. If you would ask me for suggestions, it´s quite hard, to say something. Maybe the shape of the lake could be pimped up and maybe the mountains reliefs seem to be too detailled for the cities scale
    Thanks Randig!! I can see what you mean about the shape of the lake. The mountains being too detailed? Whew, I'm taking that as a compliment

Alright, here's an update for you guys. Finally reached the northern wall from the western lake shore. Still gotta "tree things up" though, and then it's off to the area north of that wall, where the oldest seed of the city can be found.

Name:	Ostwyc_19.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	4.99 MB 
ID:	105907
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Looking forward to see how you tree bomb this map, trees are such fiddly sods to get right!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast