Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raum's Stronghold

I'm not sure but I seem to remember seeing a tutorial for transforming a height lines map into a 3D terrain in sketchup ... Maybe on youtube. That could get the job done.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I'm not sure but I seem to remember seeing a tutorial for transforming a height lines map into a 3D terrain in sketchup ... Maybe on youtube. That could get the job done.
    There are ways! I did a ton of experiments for something similar a while back. I had a DEM file that needed importing in Sketchup, not the actual contour lines. I'm happy to say I actually posted the whole process I came up with! You'll need to download the freeware programme 3DEM, but no worries, it's 100% safe.

If you already have contour lines but no DEM file yet, it might just be a teeny bit easier to follow this tutorial. I never tried it, but it just might work. Let us know if it did, because I might wanna use it in the future!

C
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

Uooowww!

The illustration is really cool Voolf. Taking as advance this first sketch the final result will be awesome.

But... I agree with Dain in the straight building lines (I have the same problem when I create a iso illustration). The cleaness of the building lines contrast excesively with the hand made lines and then "pop-out" of the surrounding contours.

I know you don´t work on PS but perhaps you should try use a non-round brush to create these lines and then add some randomness. Other option (but implies more work) is to redo the buildings using a vector software like Illustrator and use some custom brush to create these lines.

You may try to search for Freehand, an old vector program that was buyed by Adobe and left for die years ago. I think I remember to view some free versions online.

Keep the good work,

Antonio

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    There are ways! I did a ton of experiments for something similar a while back. I had a DEM file that needed importing in Sketchup, not the actual contour lines. I'm happy to say I actually posted the whole process I came up with! You'll need to download the freeware programme 3DEM, but no worries, it's 100% safe.

If you already have contour lines but no DEM file yet, it might just be a teeny bit easier to follow this tutorial. I never tried it, but it just might work. Let us know if it did, because I might wanna use it in the future!

C
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonioFrade View Post
    Uooowww!

The illustration is really cool Voolf. Taking as advance this first sketch the final result will be awesome.

But... I agree with Dain in the straight building lines (I have the same problem when I create a iso illustration). The cleaness of the building lines contrast excesively with the hand made lines and then "pop-out" of the surrounding contours.

I know you don´t work on PS but perhaps you should try use a non-round brush to create these lines and then add some randomness. Other option (but implies more work) is to redo the buildings using a vector software like Illustrator and use some custom brush to create these lines.

You may try to search for Freehand, an old vector program that was buyed by Adobe and left for die years ago. I think I remember to view some free versions online.

Keep the good work,

Antonio
    Wow, so many good adviced, thanks guys. I need time to experiment with that all, but i am not sure i will do that with that map, sice the lines are almost done. I will work on the buildings' lines again though.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

This is already looking very good! But then I'd expect nothing less from you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    This is already looking very good! But then I'd expect nothing less from you.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thank you arsheesh.

I haven't drawn anything since last update though. I have some serious eyelid inflammation and i can't focus on reading and drawing, so i put on hold everything i have. Hope i can jump in into mapping soon ;(
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

Just a tiny update. Drew more on the far right adding third tower, then i realized that there is no point drawing new buildings if i want to redoo them.
    So i made 3 buildings again without straight lines and added texture to them. I marked them in red circle. Is that looking better?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	illu_sketch_v.1.4.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	337.8 KB 
ID:	105324
    New Horizons

Support:

I'd say it works better. The best would be that the irregularities in the straight parts could give a hint of the materials used to build the structure (terra cota tiles for a roof, bricks for a wall ...).

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

Yes, I think the texture in the lines work very good!!

It is been a while since last update. I have been busy and just yesterday find some time to move a bit with this little beasty. Apart from adding more lines/texture to the buildings linework is almost done, just one maybe two more things to add. Jeez the battlements are such a pain to draw !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	illu_sketch_v.1.5_Zatwarnicki_Rafal.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	577.1 KB 
ID:	106521
    New Horizons

Support:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast