Thread: My first map! The Tomb of Quinn Roche

Map My first map! The Tomb of Quinn Roche

I'm finally ready to post my first finished battle map. I got CC3+ and all the lovely add-ons about a month ago, and I've been playing around with them and figuring them out. Tooks me a bit of time, because I come from a Photoshop background and this is vastly different than that, but I think I"m getting the hang of it now.

So this is the first map that I've actually finished and used in a game. It's a little rough, obviously, because I'm still new and I had to rush to get it ready before the session, but the players loved it and that put a nice big smile on my face. The map is "The Tomb of Quinn Roche". I'm running a Curse of Strahd campaign and have been incorporating all of the other Ravenloft lore from past editions (holy cow there's so much of it!!). Quinn Roche is just barely mentioned in the 2nd edition book "Van Richten's Guide to the Ancient Dead" as being a wealthy noble who collected many exquisite suits of armor and was buried with them in his tomb, which is located in Vallaki. He's also said to have risen from the dead on numerous occasions, usually to hunt after more rare armors. So, I built a mummy's tomb with a bunch of armor that came to life!

I'd love to get some feedback so I can get better with my next map!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YddbWdf.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	612.9 KB 
ID:	104874

Guild Adept Guild Sponsor

Okay, you asked for feedback, so here it is!

Some lighting effects would make it better -- pools of light around the torches, shadows extending out from the pillars, and so on. The drop shadows you've got there are a good start, but they could be pushed much further to give it a greater illusion of depth.

I don't know if CC3 offers a way to do lighting sources; it might need post-processing in Photoshop. But since you're already familiar with Photoshop, that shouldn't be too hard.

Is that a staircase/entryway at the south end? It's a little hard to tell.

The herringbone texture for the floor tiles feels noisy to me. All those little lines add a lot of detail without adding much information. That is, when you're viewing it at full size they tend to pull the eye away from more important features. However, tastes will likely vary on that point.

All that said, it looks entirely usable. For a first map, it's quite good.