Thread: Drawing Realistic Coastlines

Help Drawing Realistic Coastlines

I have to admit, I'm a little embarrassed having to ask this question.
    However, I am quite the newbie to real-deal mapmaking, and one of the first trouble areas I've come across is drawing realistic and natural coastlines. I'd really appreciate some suggestions here.
    I do hand-draw my maps, if that makes any difference; I have looked at the tutorials forum but it seems most of the coastline tutorials there are for digital map creation.
    Thanks so much for any help!

Hi Trinc3ss! I've had some good results with hand-drawn coastal lines in a regional level, but It would be easier to help if you post your WIP so we can see what's the problem.

Hi there

Just found your post today ('must confess it's the first time I come in this part of the forum ^^'), but can I suggest you to give a look to this great blog post by the amazing Jonathan Roberts here ?
    What is very great on his small step by step is how to use a first general shape and then refine it in several steps to get something detailed : the first shape will help you to determine if the global aspect is consistent.

Also... Maybe it's an obvious tip but I always think the very best way to get better in this specific point is to just spend some time to look at real world coastline : observation always helps a lot for understanding both how rivers/mountains/sea works together, etc. and how to give the proper feeling depending on the scale.

Hope it helps a little