Thread: The Old Watch Inn

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Map The Old Watch Inn

Hello !

This is a project started in October 2016 ... And I think it's time to finish it, because the more I wait, the more I draw differently and it becomes difficult to stay consistent on this map.

This project is the plan of an inn on the road between Nereshain and Vallonde, after the village of Gamor. The inn is in a former fortified guard post (hence it's name...), at the top of a hill, in the extreme east of the moors of Dunien and overlooks the plains of Obrin. You can find the location of the Inn on this larger map which shows a part of the world of Nossym.

It is a place linked to the story that my wife writes about a young girl who discovers she has the gift of being able to tame dragons. A chapter in the story unfolds in this hostel and I tried to respect her description of the places for indoor and outdoor.

I have completely drawn this map on Photoshop, but I used Illustrator to draw the tiles of the roofs (fellowing this tutorial). In almost a year and a half, many elements have been changed. I redid several times the cliffs, the grass, the relief ... I worked hard on the road too, going back and forth ... I thought a lot about the border .. At some point, to train on Sketchup, I drew the whole hostel in 3D, which helped me for the shadows. Then I decided to add a view of the hostel after the 3D model, in the form of a painting on leather ... In the end, the result is there, probably a little too loaded, but I will put an end to the project with that:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Auberge du guet av plan 4.jpg 
Views:	482 
Size:	10.19 MB 
ID:	104979

You can fellow most of the work on this thread...

Thanks to Mouse for all of her help, comments and encouragements !

As usual, feel free to comment, criticize or run away !

Nice work - Jo -, it's pretty rare to see this kind of map fully coloured and with a nice frame idea !
    The different things works pretty well, and you did a great work with the shading and the floor plans.

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Excellent JO ! Many delightful and innovative details : the sign, foorplans, border of course, etc. Great work on the subtle shadows too. Well done !

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice work - Jo -, it's pretty rare to see this kind of map fully coloured and with a nice frame idea !
    The different things works pretty well, and you did a great work with the shading and the floor plans.
    Merci beaucoup ! I searched for a long time for a frame idea... I'm glad you find it OK !

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    Excellent JO ! Many delightful and innovative details : the sign, foorplans, border of course, etc. Great work on the subtle shadows too. Well done !
    Merci Tenia ! I worked too long on this one, so a lot of ideas popped up...

This turned out to be an amazing map Jo! It's so incredibly detailed. You took your time with it, but in the end it really paid off (:

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

You did a wonderful job! It is loaded in a good way, you have everything laid out in such a way that it doesn't feel cluttered. The side view is also a nice touch you don't see all to often.