Thread: Need help determining climates/biomes

Help Need help determining climates/biomes

Hi all,
    I'm writing a novel and have created a rudimentary map to go along with the story. However, I'm having trouble figuring out how exactly to place certain climates and biomes. I've attatched a low-quality "cartoon" version of my map, a more less-than-beautiful drawing of it which shows the important provinces relevant to the story. I'm using this map because it offers the colored provinces as reference points in describing the biomes and climates.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	provinces.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	267.1 KB 
ID:	104999

So, to begin, I'll explain where the most prominent mountain ranges are as they affect climate and are not visible on the map. There is a north-south mountain range between the blue and pink provinces, leading up into the white. A range also separates the red and orange provinces. Another range also traces the yellow and purple border, then continues up along the purple/green border into the white.

The equator runs just below the southernmost point of the entire landmass shown on the map, and the Tropic Line runs directly through the area in the middle where the three landmasses join in a kind of triple-isthmus. The white province does not touch the North Pole, but is not far from it. Also, I am mostly only concerned with the climates of the colored provinces, not the dark green lands in the south.

These are some of the general assumptions I've been able to make:
    • Most of the orange is desert. A good southern chunk of the red and yellow are also desert or savanna.
    • The northwest pink province is largely an oceanic climate with pine forest, with the farther northwest areas having a climate similar to Anchorage, Alaska.
    • The area around the border of the red, pink, and blue provinces is likely Mediterranean (Köppen Csa) climate.
    • The white province is likely boreal forests or oceanic climate.
    • The northern stretch of the yellow province is likely swampy since it's on the east coast and probably the mouth of some rivers from the nearby mountains.
    • A lot of the green and some of the northern yellow likely have a humid subtropical (Köppen Cfa) climate.
    • The purple province is likely humid continental (Köppen Dfa or Dfb).

These are just ideas. Do you guys agree or disagree? What do you think?

I think most of your assumptions make sense according to the information you gave.

Blog Entries

I think that is good.
    Especially the yellow province.

Yeah sounds plausible to me as well. I think the green province could potentially be a bit drier (at least partially), since it has a mountain range to the east (blocking oceanic influence from the big ocean to the east), but maybe the inner sea mitigates that. Some mediterranean climates could still possibly appear there (sort of like the regions around the real Mediterranean).

The yellow province reminds me of Mesoamerica, and probably wouldn't have any deserts (unless there are some mountains there creating rain shadows).

Thanks all! I'll get to work on putting everything in to place then. Happy mapping!