Thread: Isolating rivers on Wilbur heightmap in PS

Default Isolating rivers on Wilbur heightmap in PS

So I made a coastline in photoshop and then used that file in Wilbur to generate create a height map. I'm currently trying to isolate the rivers so I can delete them from the overall land mass to show the ocean color underneath.

I've tried using different adjustment layers to isolate the darker colors but it isn't giving me the results I'm looking for. Does anyone have any idea what I could do? Or maybe another way to accomplish what I am trying to do. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wilbur2upload.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	105090

I'd suggest not tying the rivers to the ocean at all, it's been a headache every time I've tried to keep them heavily linked. Rivers tend to be much easier as a layer ontop of the map. Baring such an approach have you been unsuccessful in selecting them by colour? Alternatively you could apply a height gradient to further isolate the colours, and then create a selection by colours. If those aren't giving satisfactory results you may be forced to just go in and do it by hand, either by painting a mask over them or by erasing it straight off.

If you are using Wilbur to generate rivers you can try setting both the source and mouth color to the same color then check the use solid background color. I typically use white for rivers and black for the background.

Name:	isolating rivers.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	105091
    This generates a 2 tone image (no tapering on the rivers) that you can save as a .BMP or .PNG ( or whichever format suits you) that will get you close to what it sounds like you are trying to do.

Hope that helps.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I did try selecting by color, but because of how similar the tapers of the river are to some of the lowlands it selects all of that area as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    If you are using Wilbur to generate rivers you can try setting both the source and mouth color to the same color then check the use solid background color. I typically use white for rivers and black for the background.

Name:	isolating rivers.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	105091
    This generates a 2 tone image (no tapering on the rivers) that you can save as a .BMP or .PNG ( or whichever format suits you) that will get you close to what it sounds like you are trying to do.

Hope that helps.

GW
    I used the incise flow operation to make the rivers, but I'll try with the river tool and see what I can come up with.

If you run the rivers on the incised height field they should follow the pattern for the most part. You will probably have to do some editing but hopefully it will get you close. As Falconius mentioned though it will probably be easier as a separate layer in whichever image editor you are using.

Here is an old tutorial by Torq that might also be helpful
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=4780
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-03-2018 at 01:19 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges