Thread: LF a physical map that incorporates real world locations with fantasy flourishes.

Default LF a physical map that incorporates real world locations with fantasy flourishes.

Hey folks,

I'm currently looking for a physical map made from either tin or aluminium for a 10 year anniversary gift. The map itself would:
    1. trace a route from Texas to Virginia through a few cities
    2. have fantasy flourishes e.g. such as a sea monster in a body of water, a troll peeking from behind trees/under a bridge, warning signs, etc...
    3. have a date range and a few words e.g. "1 June - 15 June" and "Coming home"

I'm open to creative suggestions such as adding rivers or other terrain features to give the map a living feel rather than just a line connecting a few cities. I could also use help determining an appropriate size - 22in wide 13in tall?. I realize the physical medium might be a little strange/difficult. If you're able to work with me please send me a message via the boards and then we can swap emails. Thanks for your time.

Joe

I've been thinking about it, and I believe I could help you. I do have appropriate tools to engrave. It would not be cheap, and you would have to get me an appropriate piece of tin or aluminum to work on. Then there would be shipping. Etc.

An easier method to get this done would be to commission a digital file appropriate to be printed onto an aluminum sign by a place like this. I did some research and they seem to be the choice reputable sign printer, and the cost for an 11x14 is less than $50, less than $100 for the 16x24. Plus shipping. And the price of the commissioned artwork. I suspect it would still cost less than commissioning a metalwork traditional artwork.

You may also be able to take a vector file to a laser printer or engraver in your area.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on a couple of methods this project could be done.

I have a portfolio of fantasy themed cartography over there with means of contacting me on the site. Or you can rack up 5 posts here to be able to receive private messages. Cheers.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!