Thread: Random Questions from a Neophyte

Question Random Questions from a Neophyte

Deleted by user.
    Last edited by GSEC; 03-18-2018 at 06:48 AM.

I think it just means small scale maps that show a region that includes at least two destinations. Like a town and a city, or a town and cave. As for an official meaning I doubt there is one, it's more of a general term that means the same thing as small scale (except in reference to land as opposed to a nautical map or a cave map etc.).

You can find some in this thread and through the links https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=1320

Overland mapping is a petty generic term, it's just a typical map to me. It shows the land and geography and whatever element are on the map as well.

The first time I ever heard the term 'overland mapping' was when I first looked at the app I use, which is Profantasy's Campaign Cartographer 3 Plus. I've only ever seen that particular term being used in reference to CC3, and a google search doesn't really help to elaborate on the matter.

So I suppose I can only describe overland mapping as the kind of map that can be produced by the overland mapping styles provided by Profantasy as 'overland mapping styles'

The symbols and fills in a Profantasy overland style are predominantly 2D symbols drawn in isometric perspective view (that's 3D in appearance from a high angle about half way between top view and landscape view), and used to draw regional or world maps, with the emphasis more on regional mapping. So for example it would be very easy to do a map of your county or state with a CC3 overland mapping style.

I have no idea where the term came from. It just is

Azélor has already provided a link to the best thread for information about other terminology, but I wouldn't worry about using all the proper words for everything. You will pick them up as you go along just by asking as you see them. Its actually easier that way than trying to dedicate a whole long string of definitions to memory by rote.

Falconius: thanks for your thoughts. As an aside, a nautical map is referred to as a chart. Why? I have no idea, and a 'net search revealed nothing as to why. Perhaps there's an etymologist in the group that will educate us?

Azelor: thanks for the link. Very helpful.

Mouse: thanks for the input. Good description of over-land - creating the map from a perspective about 45 degrees above the surface. I think you're on to something. I'm on day four of struggling with CC3+, and am close to deciding to take PF up on their 100% satisfaction guarantee.

Chart isn't used only in nautical terms. It's more accurate to say it is used in "navigational" maps.

The origin of the word is traced to latin "Charta" where it would stand for paper/record/letter. Roughly put, in the Age of Discoveries, it was the word most used to describe a "record" with drawings and instructions for navigating. The same word with regional variations was used in Italy, France and Iberia - basically every source of maps concerning the mediterranean or the atlantic.

Map, on the other hand, comes from the latin "Mappa" as in Mappa Mundi, and it meant cloth/napkin. It was used when drawing "the world" and the expression evolved like a lot of words do, contracting in sounds and expanding in meaning. By 16th century Map was no longer the cloth where the drawing was made but the actual drawing, and The World could be any part of the actual world.

Instructions for navigation and drawn representations of the world both evolved into graphical as-accurate-as-possible-and-as-clear-as-possible depictions of geography, which makes odd that today we have two words for what appears to be one single concept.

Thanks for the question, I had never thought about this myself and went googling to find it out.