Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eyria Map (n00b requesting tips)

I think snakes do rather well in marshes and such. Other belly draggers as well. But then that would involve fantasy creations in order to ride them, not sure if that's an option.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected Filipe Passos-Coelho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Depend, if the pigs have horns!
    They could have pegasuses or griffons but that may be too fancy for you world.
    was trying to avoid the super-fantasy troupes (dragons and so on), and faily at the same time. in this case I wanted something more land-based.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I think snakes do rather well in marshes and such. Other belly draggers as well. But then that would involve fantasy creations in order to ride them, not sure if that's an option.
    Being a bit picky, I know, but riding snakes or pigs isnt really what I had in mind. and agreed, it would require creating something specific, so i am probably doing to do that on something more realistic, if 6 legged horses can be called real
    I would like to invite you to visit my fantasy project Tales of Eyria. Looking forward to meeting you and discussing this passion of mine and this vibrant world! www.talesofeyria.wordpress.com
    www.facebook.com/TalesOfEyria/

Guild Expert

This thread is getting more and more interesting. I had no idea swampy marshes were common in a sub arctic area and the first thing that comes to mind when I think of creatures that can move fast in the mud is frogs, but I can’t imagine six legged horse frogs would be very realistic.

In order to have a creature not sink, you have to overcome the square-cube law.
    Basically, if you double the size or area of something, you multiply the weight by 4.
    Therefore, if you want a creature large and strong enough to carry a rider over a muddy terrain without problem, it needs low and very wide, shaped like a rug.

Guild Expert

But I’ve seen horses run through mud several times in real life and they aren’t shaped like rugs.

Not deep mud though.

Edit Remember Artax in the Neverending Story, yeah deep mud is dangerous to horses too.
    Last edited by Falconius; 03-26-2018 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    This thread is getting more and more interesting. I had no idea swampy marshes were common in a sub arctic area and the first thing that comes to mind when I think of creatures that can move fast in the mud is frogs, but I can’t imagine six legged horse frogs would be very realistic.
    i know right?? i am baffled that I actually started something that isnt a steaming pile of horse sh#t!
    well, true, but I am sure there's a dinosaur in the past that would fit the bill.

In order to have a creature not sink, you have to overcome the square-cube law.
    Basically, if you double the size or area of something, you multiply the weight by 4.
    Therefore, if you want a creature large and strong enough to carry a rider over a muddy terrain without problem, it needs low and very wide, shaped like a rug.
    basically like the Basiliscus, those lizards that run on water.

If you increase the surface contact of the animals' feet, would that improve stability an speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Not deep mud though.
    Edit Remember Artax in the Neverending Story, yeah deep mud is dangerous to horses too.
    A silent prayer for Artax....
    Can we establish (in a scientifically sound enough way) that this region, with the height, and winds, wouldn't have super deep mud? something that could be a hassle for Men, but not for an animal adapted to that environment?
    Last edited by Filipe Passos-Coelho; 03-26-2018 at 07:08 PM.
    I would like to invite you to visit my fantasy project Tales of Eyria. Looking forward to meeting you and discussing this passion of mine and this vibrant world! www.talesofeyria.wordpress.com

The feet would have the be really large and likely heavy. At that point, skidding might be easier than running.

Did you know that some organisms are so small that they can swim in the air?
    They can remain in a static position without falling on the ground, with 0 effort.

The feet would have the be really large and likely heavy. At that point, skidding might be easier than running.

Did you know that some organisms are so small that they can swim in the air?
    They can remain in a static position without falling on the ground, with 0 effort.
    Well, birds fly and they are quite light, so maybe if the animal's structure it mainly cartilaginous, it could be big enough to hold a rider, and with pawns ride enough to reduce the kg/cm2...
    mind blown! you know the name of these organisms?

Quote Originally Posted by Filipe Passos-Coelho View Post
    A silent prayer for Artax....
    Can we establish (in a scientifically sound enough way) that this region, with the height, and winds, wouldn't have super deep mud? something that could be a hassle for Men, but not for an animal adapted to that environment?
    I think that is definitely feasible that an area could have a surface of mud but fairly solid dirt underneath. I think it is feasible to have an area like that that would be suitable for horses, sort of, but not for men.
    However I don't think such an area would actually be a marsh. Such an area would require a period for things to dry out, so that really only the surface turned to mud whilst there was still a solid layer underneath. So it'd be rather seasonal. and would be fine for everyone at certain periods. To have a permanent marsh or wetland and your riders, you'd need your special creatures.

At least those are my thoughts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast