Thread: Interested in re-stylized maps for the Tomb of Annihilation Module

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Interested in re-stylized maps for the Tomb of Annihilation Module

I am interested in getting a re-stylized collection of maps made for the Tomb of Annihilation module. I am using Roll20 as a VTT platform for the players. Is it legal to commission someone to re-stylize maps and create new maps for the module? I can provide examples of the map style I am looking for.

I don't want to sound depressing but the maps are likely protected by a licence. Usually, you can redo your own version but it is illegal to sell or distribute. New map might be ok if the content is new, it denpend on the what is on the and the specific licence.

I am not a lawyer, do not take this as a legal advise, it is my understanding of the situation and each licence is different.

I would think that if it was just for yourself at your own table and NOT being sold or even shared or posted online for free, you could probably get away with it. As soon as you start to make things public you get into legal territory. Artwork and writing and music are all copyrighted, so use of such things outside what is granted in the particular licence for the product or item could be seen as theft of IP. I am also not a lawyer and offer only my thoughts, but I think it best to err on the side of caution with such things.

Default Tomb

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    I don't want to sound depressing but the maps are likely protected by a licence. Usually, you can redo your own version but it is illegal to sell or distribute. New map might be ok if the content is new, it denpend on the what is on the and the specific licence.

I am not a lawyer, do not take this as a legal advise, it is my understanding of the situation and each licence is different.
    Ok. I will be using the maps for my free to play dnd sessions that are not streamed or recorded. I will not distribute the maps in anyway.

Default Tomb maps

Quote Originally Posted by ScottDA View Post
    I would think that if it was just for yourself at your own table and NOT being sold or even shared or posted online for free, you could probably get away with it. As soon as you start to make things public you get into legal territory. Artwork and writing and music are all copyrighted, so use of such things outside what is granted in the particular licence for the product or item could be seen as theft of IP. I am also not a lawyer and offer only my thoughts, but I think it best to err on the side of caution with such things.
    Ok. I will be using the maps for my free to play dnd sessions that are not streamed or recorded. I will not distribute the maps in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Foster View Post
    No but the person making the map for you break the laws if it goes against the licence.
    Maybe you can find someone who will do it anyway since it is very improbable to get caught without advertisement.

Default Wizards of the Coast fan content policy

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    No but the person making the map for you break the laws if it goes against the licence.
    Maybe you can find someone who will do it anyway since it is very improbable to get caught without advertisement.
    So I contacted Wizards of the Coast about this and they said the project falls under the fan content policy. http://company.wizards.com/fancontentpolicy

The best example I can find is in their Q&A:

Q: My Fan Content is free to access, but may I take donations or derive ad revenue?

A: Yep! We know you put lots of time and energy into your Fan Content and are OK with you recouping some of that investment in the form of donations on sites like Patreon or ad/click revenue on sites like Twitch and YouTube—so long as it follows this Policy and doesn’t interfere with the Community’s access to your Fan Content.

I don't know if anyone is willing to work for donations but I am happy to contribute money to this as I have very little free time.

-Cheers