Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Twin River City [WIP]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Oooh... you made me blush once again
    'must say I don't see myself as talented or creative, I just... fake it ? but doing my best ^^'
    Hmm... As many others, there is a world building project I started in 2000 or 2001 and which needed maps. My first one was already on Photoshop, but mostly generated, with tons of awful automatic effects... I just had a mouse, and absolutely 0 skills or interest for drawing. I can't count how many versions of this map I drew, mostly on Photoshop, some on paper (you can see some of them here if you're interested, it will give you an idea of the way ^^). The last really detailed map I drew for my own world is from 2011, I think. After it, except a few concept maps, I mostly tryed my hand on regular digital painting illustrations : plants, objects, portraits, a few landscapes (I'm bad for landscapes ^^), but as I was thinking to change a very boring job, a friend who followed the whole world building suggested I could try to take commissions for maps, as mine were quite successful on our small community. My first commission was in early 2016. As far as I remember, I think it was the first time I drew a map out of my own fantasy world (if I omit a map of Austria when I was 6 years old ^^), and I sometimes have the feeling I progressed more in 2 years of commissions than in 16 years in my own world ^^'.
    Ha! Don't be so modest. You do have a great talent.

EDIT: Just to make that clear, looking at your Tamriel and Middle Earth maps, it makes me stare in awe at the screen. Truly magnificent.

Hmm, the progress of the different versions of that map is quite interesting. I most the enjoy the 2005 version and the 2010 version. The 2005 version invokes a sense of there is stories there with the big trees popping out of the map. I like it. The 2010 version on the other hand version has such elegant touch to it. Definitely nice to see how you progressed on a single map.

My first map was me trying to get past my 0 drawing ability and using tracing paper to get the lines for mountains and cliffs. But, about two years ago, I really had to get a map ready for my novel's world and so I found Inkarnate and boom created a few maps about regions and continents in my world. Though, I always wanted to add MORE mystery and fantasy to those maps, yet inkarnate only allowed 10 custom objects over all your maps at that time. ... That frustrated me to no end. I had created a frankenstein map using custom objects, but, I could only do so much with that program. That is when I discovered GIMP. Now, that enabled me to create an upgraded version of my frankenstein maps. In all seriousness, it gave waaaay more freedom to add stuff that wasn't normally seen on maps. That is what I wanted.
    Anyway, before I knew I started to really love creating maps and then I started to finally learn to draw stuff other than stick figures and now I love drawing maps and assets for them. Still, a ways to go. But, as you know it can be incredibly satisfying.

Do you ever draw brushes to help on your journey?
    (Btw, thank you for taking the time to chat a bit. It is really nice. )

---
    If you are interested.
    Frankesteinion map version 2.0 Huehuehue!!!!! Yera's Crossing.
    First map I did on the guild. Nessa'Mor
    Very first commission map. Ice Dragon lair.
    Last edited by XCali; 07-25-2018 at 06:29 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Do you ever draw brushes to help on your journey?
    (Btw, thank you for taking the time to chat a bit. It is really nice. )
    ---
    If you are interested.
    Frankesteinion map version 2.0 Huehuehue!!!!! Yera's Crossing.
    First map I did on the guild. Nessa'Mor
    Very first commission map. Ice Dragon lair.
    I see something in common with your Frankesteinion map and my first one, thus yours is definitely better ! Sounds we both made a long way already, but it's never the end and that's the best, isn't it ?

Actually I really don't use many brushes, and I tend to use less and less with time. All my lineart is made exclusively with the most basic round brush with pen pressure (same one, a little flattened for calligraphy), I have 2 more I use for painting (a round one with opacity pressure and a chalk one for blending), and a very few (maybe 4 ?) I made myself or found somewhere for painting parchment textures or add grungy splatters on the edges. That's all. It's probably years now since I created my last brush, probably !

And... you're more than welcome

I like the feel of the green you used for the palm trees, gives it even more of a desert feel. This one has been truly fun to watch unfold, Cali, great work, as always!

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    I like the feel of the green you used for the palm trees, gives it even more of a desert feel. This one has been truly fun to watch unfold, Cali, great work, as always!
    Thank you.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Wip Night Version Experiment.

Hiya!

Today, I cleaned up the foliage layer under the trees and I added the name of the city in the left corner. But, I wanted to experiment with a night version of the map, so I went with a moonlight effect to test things out. It will be an alternative version of the end product.
    I haven't started adding light sources to the city for it yet, so just moonlight for now.

Let me know what you all think.

### Latest WIP ### Night Alternative.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thunder Rock_Night_v1.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	4.95 MB 
ID:	108963

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Well, you're welcome, as you may know : Guild spirit ^^

This is looking great!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    This is looking great!
    Thank you!

City maps are quite a challenge, but it has been fun.

Hey, ChickPea if you don't mind me asking, how you would go about the tree shadows for this one? I have been pondering it for a few days.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Map Tree Cast Shadows

Hi everyone!

Today I felt like tackling the cast shadows of the trees. It is on its own layer, so if you think it should be darker or lighter, let me know.
    (For those interested in the process , I created an animated brush with hard black horizontal color resembling the range of trees and started chipping at placing it on its own layer below the trees but above the buildings color layer, so that taller trees can go over a building. Then I multiplied the layer and lowered its opacity.)

Other that that, I added a little color to the docks, and again tried to get the name to do something interesting. If I succeeded, I do not know.

I tried a different green for the trees, so the two day versions below belly that. I would like to know what color you think the trees should be.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Thunder Rock_Tree_Castshadows.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	6.54 MB 
ID:	109018

Green 2

Name:	Thunder Rock Different Green.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	5.07 MB 
ID:	109019

Night version

Name:	Thunder Rock_Night_Castshadows.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	6.33 MB 
ID:	109020

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Question Banners and Numbers

Hi everyone

Today, I thought I'd try out banners housing the numbers for the map. This is completely new to me. Eventually I will make a set of different versions of it, including one with just the most important buildings pointed out. Though, the reason for the large amount of numbers, this map is meant for a city campaign in a table top scenario, or at the very least a place that has a large amount of variety going into an adventure campaign visiting this city.

Okay, now I am getting to a place where nitpicking from you guys and girls would be GREATLY appreciated. I want to hunt down the things that looks off or just odd, and optimise the map. For that I really really need your help pointing me in direction that would make the map even better.

Below is one with just the banners added and the other has the numbers included. There is still loads of the numbered places I haven't yet thought of what it is, so you are welcome to discuss what would be cool for them.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Thunder Rock_WithBanners.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	5.01 MB 
ID:	109058

Like the banners or not?

Numbers added
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Thunder Rock_Numbers_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	5.03 MB 
ID:	109059

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast