Thread: Felmyr Place Names (WIP)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Witcher features many different contries and Irish sounding names are not that common in the universe. But while I played the 2 first games, I'm not vety familiar with setting, so I could be wrong. The universe felt diverse to me and more inspired from Germany/Eastern Europe.

To me English sounding names are somewhat exotic since it's not my native language. It's French but the funny thing is that many French towns names sounds odd to me.
    Anyway, i did a map with English names, some are from old English like the title, Ondoerr, Meinland, Miskuun, and probably others but I can't differentiate them for modern English. https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...3&d=1425431662
    Some names are also inspired by the horror theme (inspiration was Ravenloft).

More recently I started working on another horror inspired map. It's more like Lovecraft so you have a lot of England and Massachusetts sounding names. https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...9&d=1526055714

I used several settings for inspiration like my own previous maps (White Hill, Eagle earie...), Dark souls, and a greek Philosopher... Pliny: there is a meaning. And Luciferin is not a reference to Lucifer.
    And the roads makes a pentagram if you look closely.

I have one chinese themed map: https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...2&d=1505272910
    Some names are pretty poetic like one mountain range is named Emerald serpent but others are less so, like the one Soaked Wet province. Still very illustrative of the wet local climate.
    One province is named golden elephant, because they are rich like they could own a big elephant made of gold.
    Most names have a real meaning but some might be odd for chinese since they might invert the two syllables, otherwise the same syllables but in the wrong order might sound like nonsense. Like the car green instead of the green car.
    The west has Indian sounding names because my neighbour (Janantala Elubor) has what I think sounds Indian.
    The names of my neighbours have been sinized (to become chinese). And some border names have been deformed to show some sort of linguistic mix.
    The actual name of the dynasty is Kún. While the syllable Kun do exist in Chinese, my Kun meaning is different and the writing is unique. That character does not exist in Chinese, the one on the flag but is somewhat similar to the Song dynasty standard.

I had a document with most of the name with their meaning. If I find it, I can post it here if you are interested. Or I can go on just by memory.
    Last edited by Azélor; 05-23-2018 at 08:35 PM.

Thanks for posting Azélor

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    The Witcher features many different contries and Irish sounding names are not that common in the universe. But while I played the 2 first games, I'm not vety familiar with setting, so I could be wrong. The universe felt diverse to me and more inspired from Germany/Eastern Europe.
    There's a fair bit of Irish and Welsh mixed in with the Nordic. But I agree, the main stories borrow mostly mainland European nations.

...the funny thing is that many French towns names sounds odd to me.
    I'm very curious as to why this is. Why do think French names sound odd to you?

More recently I started working on another horror inspired map. It's more like Lovecraft so you have a lot of England and Massachusetts sounding names. https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...9&d=1526055714
    I like Lovecraft so I'll definitely keep an eye on where this map leads...

Just wow! This is a fantastic map. I especially love the clouds and depth they bring. Same with the rivers. And the colours. Actually everything

But as this is a naming thread, I also really like your approach to naming, where you take into account your neighbours place names makes sense to me and could serve to throw up a new sort of conlang? Should that be hyphenated? I don't k-now.

I'd be interested in the doc if you had it as I'm always keen to learn from/plagiarise other peoples work and experiences

Thanks again.