Thread: Felmyr Place Names (WIP)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Larb, thanks so much for commenting

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    I definitely know how you feel regarding the world name. For my main fictional world, after years I've still not managed to come up with one and I really hate the placeholder I have been using. I think in the end I will go with something drawn from one of my constructed languages.
    This is where I'm having the most difficulty, too. I've tried thinking of a proxy word for Earth but I'm not sure I can do it. It's hard to find an alternative that isn't either too fantasty or too sci-fi-esque! Your idea to use one of your con-lang words might be the best method.

The analogous naming of locations is very intentional in my own world, yes. I'm hoping it quickly gives a broad indication of the various regions (along the lines of climate, tech level etc.). My hope is that this grounds the viewer in something they can relate to instantly.

Having said that, the various regions are not analogous to their earth counter parts in anything other than a general sense. For example, in Game of Thrones, Westeros is probably analogous to medieval England and the War of the Roses? But you would never equate the two as there are things like dragons and skin changers and wyldfire etc. But it certainly helps ground (Western) viewers quite quickly. I have the same intention here. I will have to take care to avoid stereotype and hints of racism, that's true.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Expect the comparisons though, (and also perhaps comments on the absence of an african continent equivalent proper.)
    The absence of a large Africa proxy is a fair point. As I played around with the tectonics I just broke up that land mass and shoved it into southern Sulaam and the eastern unnamed continent. But there is a much smaller landmass which equates to Africa. Colonisation has begun there, as well as the exportation of slaves to Rushmore largely. The race I have named (shanga which I derived from African tribes), they have only just begun to throw off their shackles in my world. I hope to examine how I've named the various races and creatures in my world at some point too but I'm very glad that you made that initial observation

Thanks again Larb!
    Last edited by Weery; 05-19-2018 at 03:54 AM.