Thread: Messenger Seals from the Duscan Empire

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Map Messenger Seals from the Duscan Empire

My completed entry for the May 2018 Challenge, “create a set of stamps.” Each stamp was hand-drawn and colored in Photoshop on a Wacom Intuous tablet. For the city icons, I wanted a medieval illumination feel (I didn't quite get there but I'm satisfied for now). I drew the some of the doodads in the frame thanks to various internet tutorials and the profile picture from a coin. The font is Castellar, available at dafont.com. The coin bag and coins are photos I took of some of my D&D props.

WIP thread is here.

The realm of Duscany, previously a far-reaching empire and still a major trading power, features as background in my D&D campaign (actually not so much background at the moment, since Duscan ships are blockading a major trade route for political reasons, but I don't think any of the PCs really care yet). In my present-day D&D world, these stamps were issued 265 years ago by Empress Alexia III, ruler of the Duscan Empire. In order to give back to the people (primarily merchants) who had been an instrumental part of ushering in an era of immense prosperity and growth, Alexia spent her last years secretly putting in place the foundations of the Republic of Duscany. She transferred power to the Senate shortly before her death. Duscany continues to dominate commerce and banking throughout Ehalia and its merchant companies enjoy a monopoly on trade with spice-rich Kashgar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duscan Empire Pouch v6.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	10.41 MB 
ID:	107562

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duscan Stamp Set Final (sm).jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	107563

I have already said it (and i voted for) : it's a beautiful work, the stamps, the wallet, and the story to bind them
    -- Maps and Watercolor --

In french :
    Mon tipeee : come and support my work
    https://mondelys.wordpress.com/ : Here I write and I draw the Encyclopedia of Lys
    https://manaearth.wordpress.com/ : Discover the table rpg Mana Earth

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I agree with my esteemed colleague. And I finally was able to rep you!

You always bring your game to these challenges, and this was great work - very inventive, cool, and supportive of your world lore. I like it!

A very nice set, Aeshnidae. As said before, I especially love your medieval-style towns on this one

Nice work! I like the cities as well and the geometric form.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the opportunity to get creative with these challenges (and then use the results in-game - world building through maps is even more fun than regular world building).

I'm very glad the medieval town icons came out well. Drawing "real things" is not my strength, so I often have to look at examples and online tutorials. But I'm learning through practice and so many of the Guild maps inspire me to keep practicing. And Bogie's work inspired me to start taking top-down photos of stuff to incorporate into my map presentations.