Thread: Looking For Advise

Wip Looking For Advise

Hello I am new to this map making idea. I followed a guide i found on youtube. And am looking for some help on how to improve the map.
    I am also looking for ideas on how to create roads, towns, and other such markers.
    Please note i have not worked much with PS or with anything artistic.
    Thanks All. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ME.jpg 
Views:	364 
Size:	7.25 MB 
ID:	107945

edit: the far north area is undiscovered and that is why it is a solid color
    Last edited by Franklin Luther; 06-21-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hi Franklin, welcome to the Guild. I'm moving your thread to the Regional/World subforum, since you're looking for advice and it fits better there.

Hey! I’m new to the guild but I’ve been mapping for a while. Your coastlines look great and the textures are really nice, so I’d say you’re off to a good start.

One thing I think would help your map would be to fiddle with the continent’s placement to one another a bit. Right now they’re kind of evenly spaced out in a 2x3 grid which feels unnatural. The cluster on the left side looks good on its own, so I think if you you pushed one of the land masses on the right next to another it would help give things a more natural asymmetry.

After that, I’d recommend establishing a limited color palette; pick out like five or six colors you want to be predominant in your map and do some tweaking to bring your current colors as close as you can to that palette; it helps pull the map together and give it a sense of cohesion and internal consistency. Plus the overall tone of the palette itself can communicate age or mystery or some sense of the climate, which adds metaphorical weight to the piece without actually adding new info and cluttering it.

I used a palette that a found on the guild for a satellite map. I did not know of another palette as the guide did not post one. I wanted a more naturally look. As the world is meant to feel like earth. But I do feel I over did it on the left most continent.

Hi there, and welcome to the Guild!

One thing I can't help but notice is the fact that your map has some river violations going on. There is a long-running thread over at the Tutorials section devoted to this subject, I'd advice taking a peek over there
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.