Thread: First map on the guild

Default First map on the guild

Hello Guild!

As a beginner, I've been wanting to improve my skill with mapmaking, so I've been working on this project to help me practice the technique; no worldbuilding behind it.

I want to improve, so criticism is welcome!

Anyways, here's what I've gotten so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Regional Project 1.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	420.7 KB 
ID:	108025

I generated the coastlines through rendering clouds and selecting. I'm using a parchment texture I found online, and I've edited it to look a little older. I hand drew the mountains and rivers, and made the plains and forest using some stamps with jitter and changing the pen size.

Anyways, next step: coloring, cities, and naming.

Been working on the coloring and I discovered how to use white, black, and the overlay layer to create hills!

Anyways, I'll fiddle with the coloring a bit more, but I'm gonna start doing politics: the cities, the roads, the countries.

Also, I'll see if I can do something that I like with the water. More and more, I'm not liking what I have for the water.

And the map so far:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Regional Project v2.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1,021.7 KB 
ID:	108167

That's looking great, I like how you do your forests and great color choices!

Really good mountain work for a beginner! Also I agree with Vigilus on your forests, the sparse feel makes it very realistic! Good work so far!