Thread: Remaking the 3.5E Faerun Map

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Post Remaking the 3.5E Faerun Map

I would like the Faerun 3E map completely remade with more realism. Making the plains more green, the sea more blue, the hills more "hilly". The artist has free roam to add more towns or little villages to the map, because I think there's a lot of space between each city in certain areas. Make the cities, towns, and villages look different on the map itself. Establish ruins on the map in places that the artist would think right to add ruins. Making the black lines into lookable roads and although keeping the key in the bottom right still slightly relevant being with the plains, hills, cities, etc. Willing to pay a decently generous amount for a person that could make revamp this map very well. Making it very 5e-ish. The two maps provided are references to how the map looks originally and different towns and what not already there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	faerunlarge.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	5.91 MB 
ID:	108137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Faerun_map.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	108138  
    Last edited by Bltiz72999; 07-04-2018 at 01:24 AM.

Hello Blitz

I'm only asking because I'm pretty ignorant about these matters and just a bit curious about how it all works, but is it commonly acceptable to rework existing copyrighted maps?

Its just that I couldn't help but notice they are both copyright to Wizards of the Coast.

Hi Bltiz72999,

What you ask for is something I've been aching to take a stab at for a long time so, I'd obviously be interested in working with you on this project Some informations about the size you're after would greatly help me and other applicants to estimate the cost.

You can check my portfolio here and if you like what you see, shoot me an email at the address below

thomrey [at] hotmail [dot] com

To answer Mouse's concern, as long as it's a private use, I'm pretty sure there's no issue and the DM'sGuild rules seem to even allow for redos of official material (I'd have to look into that to be certain).
    Cheers !

Thomas

Thank you Thomas

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Hey Bltiz72999,

Faerun is something that's on the internal wish list of most cartographers, so you've definately come to the right place. Naturally, I'd be more than happy to help you out!

To specify Thomas' question, useful information would be the following:

- Size. How large is the map? What are its dimensions (cm/inches/pixels) and desired resolution?
    - Details. What's the level of individual detail you are looking for? This point includes such things like illustrated crests, flags, highly elaborate locations, ornate map borders, etc. As an example, think of the way you'd like to depict a town on your map: you can do it as simple as a dot. But you can also draw, color and fully shade a miniature town.
    - Style. What kind of style would the you like? I can be flexible, although it’s advisable that it remains at a style that I’m familiar with.
    - Urgency. How urgently is the map needed?

You can check out my portfolio here. If you like what you see, shoot me an email at

wolfmaster [at] gmx [dot] net

Best regards, and looking forward to hearing from you!

--wired

I think it is acceptable as long as you never publish it (even if it's free) and keep it to yourself. This might be wrong because I'm definitely not a lawyer.

Hey Bltiz72999,

Like my colleagues said, this is something that most people around here would love to do. Goes without saying that I'm aslo interested in this project! You can have a look at my portfolio to get an impression of my work and if you are interested you can contact me at info [at] danielsmaps [dot] com.

I hope to hear from you soon.

-Daniel

Be careful. WotC does not react in a friendly manner to such things once they leave the private domain. A lot of people have had a lot of problems already, problems that begin with a C&D order.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

There are some Faerun maps done by individuals on sale at the DM'sGuild. I'm not sure but I thougt it was a WotC managed website. Elven Tower sells a map this way.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    There are some Faerun maps done by individuals on sale at the DM'sGuild. I'm not sure but I thougt it was a WotC managed website. Elven Tower sells a map this way.
    The DM's Guild is a partnership with WOTC and works under a slightly larger version of the OGL. They have an FAQ page there on what you can and cannot put up there. Here is the link: https://support.dmsguild.com/hc/en-u...-OGL-Questions

So basically normally you cannot sell stuff based on any of their settings at all. On the DM's Guild you can sell new stuff based on Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft but not any of their other settings such as Dark Sun for example.