View Poll Results: Is this latest battle map version professional enough for a DMsGuild adventure?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. You should hire a Cartographer to redo it.

0 0%
  • Yes. It makes the bar.

1 50.00%
  • Maybe. It needs a few tweaks. See comments.

1 50.00%

Thread: [WIP] The Artificer's Construct Graveyard

Help [WIP] The Artificer's Construct Graveyard

This is for an upcoming DMsGuild Adventure, "Into the Maw of Anauroch." It will include a free 3D Virtual Table Top as well.

We are using Concepts on an iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil.

Here's the first sketch. Terrible right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Artificer1.PNG 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	108891

For the next version, someone was kind enough to point out, we mistakenly mixed top down and isometric viewpoints.

Name:	Artificer2.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	108892

In the next version we attempted to correct the isometric issues, but we were disappointed with the Construct. It looked too "cartoony" to us.

Name:	Artificer3.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	108893

The next version, we were able to fill with Constructs, and we are less disappointed with them, but what we think is missing is the sense of drama and battle (i.e. one Construct plunging a sword into another, circuitry disemboweled etc.) Additionally, we were informed that the background lacked high dynamic range. (Of note, the Constructs did too, but we are showing the after on those below.)

Name:	Artificer4.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	108894

Here is our final version so far. We feel a bit tapped out on any artistic skill now. We are unsure where to take it next. It seems like the next step would take immense amount of work - but maybe there is some low hanging fruit.

Name:	Artificer 5.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	108895

Fresh eyes on this would be great. Any advice for next steps? Can anyone render an opinion on whether this looks professional enough to be in a DMsGuild adventure or whether we should still hire a Cartographer to redo it?

Thanks again - any advice on the above would be great.

I think that's perfectly fine for a DMsGuild adventure. I browse the DMsGuild often, and I've seen many battlemaps of low quality. On that note, your map is really nice, and I imagine it would be fun to use as is. The grid lines are clear, and the terrain is easy to read.

My only complaint is super minor. It would be nice if you could use a different font for the title of the map. The current font feels pretty generic and doesn't fit the atmosphere. Aside from that, it's definitely good enough to avoid hiring a pro.

Thanks so much for the feedback. Someone else mentioned the font once too. Funny that my eyes don’t see the discordance as it seemed to match the tone. I will have to try some different fonts and see how they look. What sort of font features would be a better fit in your mind?
    Last edited by TavernMage; 07-25-2018 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TavernMage View Post
    Thanks so much for the feedback. Someone else mentioned the font once too. Funny that my eyes don’t see the discordance as it seemed to match the tone. I will have to try some different fonts and see how they look. What sort of font features would be a better fit in your mind?
    Maybe something that looks older? The current typeface is relatively modern-feeling. I'm starting to think that it's also a relatively narrow font. Not really sure how to convey my distaste for it haha. I suppose it just looks out of place. You could probably add some kind of title block, or maybe change the color of the font. A dark brown might look a bit more aged. Since the scene is about fallen, deteriorating Constructs, I would say go for grey text with an older looking font (grey matches the theme of the Constructs and the older text is inline with the deterioration) or you could do brown text with what you have (brown makes it feel older and worn and the modern text relates to the Constructs). Hope this helps, or at least gives you some ideas!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

It is good. You have nice linework. The shading and highlights is decent from a distance, though zooming in just a bit and you start seeing all the hard lines of the brush you used to add the highlights to the runes and stuff like it. Maybe use a low opacity eraser with a soft edge to go over the hard lines.(I'm NOT talking about the lineart.) (Maybe if your highlights with the hard lines are on its own layer, a Gaussian blur of 1 point might help. Try it, you can always undo if it did not help.)

I absolutely agree with my fellow guild member about the font, it is waaaay to generic for this map. Maybe try something in the line of an Arabian Regular font. It has a very desert theme.

Also, bear with me here, but the white grid you used is a bit distracting. I don't know if it is because of the crisscrossing of lines inside each block or that it is white, but maybe experiment with a darker color, and you can add an overlay mode on the grid layer to help it blend a bit into the map.(Experiment with it a little.)

Anyway, there is a lot to love about this map. Though, I would touch up a few things.
    (PS. Just to say, I would have a hard time drawing those constructs with a mouse. You did well.)

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19