Thread: My Encounter maps and the Odd Asset. WIP and finished. ;)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    If the squares are 105', then those flowers are about 30-35' across... a decent size even by tree standards (fully grown apple-tree size). What I am seeing are not trees, but flowers, which typically have a much lower width-to-height ratio than an apple tree. If they are intended to be trees, you have a lot of work yet to do.

105' still remains an odd and impractical grid increment. I guarantee the vast majority will just round it to a sensible 100' and treat it as such, because that's easier to work with and won't change the scaling that much. Just as most won't bother converting yards to meters or vice versa if using a gridded map in one in a system that uses the other. It'd just be easier if you did it yourself. Some customers may find it off-putting. If you like the size of things as they are, why not just adjust the grid to the scale with a nice round 100' grid? (And I do hope you're offering a gridless variant for virtual tabletop use, which is probably the majority of your market.)

I like that your large map exists in distinctive regions. That should help give a real sense of progress as players move from one area to another and make it easier to find things quickly. If something's in the ruined city, I know i only need to scan the dark area of the map. And while there are a few ambiguities, I think reads very clearly for this style of map. Unlike some that I just get lost in (in a bad way), this seems entirely practical to use in play. It would be sad if a little thing like a strange grid choice made it go overlooked.
    Oh, don't misunderstand, this whole thing is definitely still a work in progress, I still have a few things to do, one of which is to add the village and stuff like that. So, the grid thing was just in the testing part. Also, the flowers, they are giant flowers big as trees, but I'll see what I can do to make it less confusing.
    Question, I have split the map into four also, so that it can be revealed in parts, do you think you would like a feature like that?

What comes next after that, well refining the whole thing and adding more unique things to each biome. I do, however, would like to discuss things about the map going forward too. To make it as attractive as possible. Tx for the feedback already so far.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alweria_Cave_System_Preview_2_.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	7.56 MB 
ID:	122986
    Last edited by XCali; 01-16-2022 at 05:31 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19