Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guys I need help

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    It is highly unlikely for a river to flow up and over a mountain range.
    Yes, I know. I beleive you were talking about the rivers near Dorchire, and the truth is that though it seems like one single river flows over the mountain range, it is actually two seperate rivers that start and two particularly tall flat topped mountains (these prove important to my novel later), but I understand where you thought that. I do have a question about the possibity that a river could flow from a large volcano or something similar to that. I also need to know if my volcanoes are well placed. All three are extremely important to the novel, but I am beggining to wonder if the would legitimatly work out.

Guild Apprentice

I would also like to know if it is possible for the large island to the West (containing the settlements of Mollidor and Metgord) could be tropical, based on the nontropical patterns of the area east. I figured, due to the fact that it is an island in a warm Northern going current, it would work out, but as I look over it, it seems unlikely that the island would be tropical while everything to the East is desert or mountain (or thick pine forest as you go higher up). I need opinions. Do you guys think this would work out?

A river flowing from a volcanoe...
    Water or lava?
    Water: if the crater is large enough for a lake to form.
    Lava: sort of but it won't travel as far as water because it is dense and cools off quickly.

Yes, plenty of rivers go through mountain ranges like Colombia river on the West coast. It's just it looked strange on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by jesterman View Post
    I would also like to know if it is possible for the large island to the West (containing the settlements of Mollidor and Metgord) could be tropical, based on the nontropical patterns of the area east. I figured, due to the fact that it is an island in a warm Northern going current, it would work out, but as I look over it, it seems unlikely that the island would be tropical while everything to the East is desert or mountain (or thick pine forest as you go higher up). I need opinions. Do you guys think this would work out?
    Having a jungle depend on the latitude. It needs to be hot and fairly rainy (at least in one season)
    Some of the northernmost jungles would be in Lousiana and Florida (I think these have jungle like vegetation but jungle is somewhat vague). They sit at 30 degrees north.

Guild Apprentice

ok, then I am posed with a problem, because I have a tropic island placed right next to a large desert on the opposite shore. This means that they are both receiving similar amounts and areas of rainfall from ocean currents and winds. That is very problematic. Would this ever actually happen in nature?

Not impossible depending on the wind directions.
    There is a sharp transition from desert to farmland going west from Pakistan to India for example.

Guild Apprentice

True, there is a very sharp transistion. I just looked at it on Google Maps. But how is that caused?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12