Thread: Variations on Browenmill

Default Variations on Browenmill

So a while ago, Larb posted a map of a small mill called 'Browenmill'.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	browenmill-1.png 
Views:	45 
Size:	378.2 KB 
ID:	109423Click image for larger version. 

Name:	browenmill-2.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	477.3 KB 
ID:	109424

I loved the simplicity of it and thought that it could easily be adapted into a small keep. I posited that the look could be modified to incorporate multiple levels (below) as well as additional rooms within the courtyard.

Name:	browenmill-1floors.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	405.4 KB 
ID:	109425 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	browenmill-6.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	611.3 KB 
ID:	109426

This wouldn't be a large keep - just something of a minor branch of a semi-noble family, perhaps the home of a knight charged with protecting a village or a valley.

Name:	Blackwood-Hall-01.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	638.2 KB 
ID:	109427

I wasn't exactly sure if the main gate would be defendable enough to provide adequate protection so I made a second variation with a simple tower barbican.

Name:	Blackwood-Hall-03.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	698.1 KB 
ID:	109428

I figured that the inclusion of a second gate would protect the entrance and give the defenders a better chance against swarm attacks (goblins, etc.) But this original design was very limited in space. it didn't, in my original design, have a stable or a barracks to house the guard. So I would need to add at least one more building and this meant that it would need a second yard as well. The idea being that the first floor of the building would be the stables and the second would be for the guard. I also added another tower barbican to help protect the gate. Conceptually there could be another corner watch tower.

Name:	Blackwood-Hall-45.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	946.5 KB 
ID:	109429 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blackwood-Hall-11.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	109430

Some additional variations on this idea lead me to the following concepts:
    (which I will have to add in a follow-up post)

Comments welcome!
    -Green Pilgrim
    Last edited by Green-Pilgrim; 08-12-2018 at 10:08 PM.
    Larger copies of my maps located on flickr and can be used for your enjoyment.

Name:	Blackwood-Hall-30.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	109431

Name:	Blackwood-Hall-31.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	109432

I have lettered copies of the above maps (for ease of use and immediate addition to someone's campaign) if people want them. I tend to tag mine rather broadly than individual details (I don't tend to identify the well individually, for example. I usually include it within the courtyard).

-GP

Very nice work on those!

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Very nice Green-Pilgrim ! Dimensions and wall thickness seem ok. For defensive purpose, my preference goes to picture named Blackwood-Hall-11

Very flattered you liked my mill to expand on it so much.

So my opinion - some great layouts. In my mind it would only be basically a fortified manor house. So there would probably be a small ditch or moat around it too. The walls aren't thick enough you see to take any real punishment from a proper siege. But the original mill (the central tower) was a reused watch tower of sorts that I recall. It has the Esken banding on it - from one of my world cultures.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Howdy.

Yes, I assumed that this would be just a fortified manor house with a minimal level of defenses around it to provide just a modest level of protection - like the walls. There's enough to keep the family/servants/guards safe from the 'usual' threats but they wouldn't last long against a full-on seige. That being said, it got me to thinking: what would be required for that small collection of buildings?

1. Keep = keep the noble family safe (bedrooms, day rooms, etc.)
    2. G. Hall = Give them a space for holding court / entertaining of guests and the people.
    3. Kitchen/Pantry = keep them fed. (servant quarters above)
    4. Common Hall = give the servants a place to eat and work during bad/cold weather. (servant quarters above?)
    5. Barbican = control access into the space.
    6. Watch tower = Keeping an eye on the approach. (armory below)
    7. Stables = keeping your transport (sign of wealth) secure.

am I forgetting something?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blackwood-Hall-21.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	109631  

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

- A food stock room : It was sometimes at the first floor of the keep, the keep's entrance beeing on the 2nd floor and reachable from the 2nd floor (a sort of basement at ground level)
    - some castles/fortified house had a chapel too

Once more into the map...
    (Cartography is such a rabbit hole. hah)

Larb, glad that you liked my some of my variations. I love your work.

Name:	Blackwood-Hall-06.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	807.3 KB 
ID:	109636

So this is (yet another) variant that tries to build on the single-block design (rather than the two block design that I posted earlier). The hope is that I could incorporate all of the necessary spaces within a single, simple design for this fortified estate / manor house. I also added more stairs to give access to the second floors and to the defensive wall.
    • Stairs to the Great Hall from the yard.
    • Backstairs up from the kitchen to the Great Hall
    • Stairs to the Barracks and Staff Dormitory from the yard.

Ground Floor

Name:	Blackwood-Hall-06a.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	816.8 KB 
ID:	109637
    A. Barbican entrance
    B. Seige Armory (arrow stores)
    C. Guard Room
    D. Barracks
    E. Quarters
    F. No Second Floor
    G.staff Dorm
    H. Guest Quarters?
    I. Kitchen (food prep and laundry)
    • Not sure if I should cut up this big space into smaller spaces or not. A set of stairs leads up to the second floor.

K. Dry Stores
    • Sacks of wheat, corn, long-term storage of siege-survival food.

Second Floor
    A. Gate Sentry
    B. Seige Armory (arrow stores)
    C. Guard Quarters
    D. bARRACKS
    E. ?
    F. No Second Floor
    G. Staff Dorm
    H.Guest Quarters
    I. Great Hall
    • Two hearts to keep the winter cold out.

K. Lord's Hall
    • This would be a more intimate space for the noble family to spend their day.
    • Higher floors would be allocated to bedrooms for the children and parents.

Thoughts?

-GP