Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Border Outpost

Default Border Outpost

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarkas 4.png 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	109621

This map is of a border outpost that has a small garrison of soldiers who patrol the Old Highway to ensure it remains clear for trade. It is for a book I am writing.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Discuss

Hey, nice job with the buildings and the scroll.

I will point out that the green texture you used for what I assume is the grass, looks like tiles from a mile away. Maybe find a texture you like, resize it to your maps size and place it as your grass texture.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

I am aware of the quilting effect of the background and that is on the list of things to fix. I was working on it when I noticed the scale of the buildings in the town seemed off. I spent several hours on Google Earth measuring buildings and streets of towns that still have historic districts to get reference dimensions to use as a guide. I looked at several cities and much of my information came from Rothenburg ob der Tauber (which I remembered from my time in Germany and was the first city I googled). After my research, I deleted everything outside of the garrison and started over. Now that the the town has been redrawn, I can go back to solving the issue with the background.

I failed to mention in my original post that I am using Campaign Cartographer 3+. I have had the program for several weeks and am still learning how to use it. The process of learning how to create fantasy maps is an ongoing, continuing process. I plan to use Photoshop or Autodesk SketchBook to touch up my maps and still have to gain some proficiency in their use. I will probably end up doing the rivers on my overland maps in one of them. I have resized sections of rivers after branches in CC3 and it does improve them, but can't match the organic look you can achieve by drawing them in PS (or similar program). I am constantly researching to ensure my assumptions are accurate, refining my skills, and looking at the works of others for ideas and inspiration.

I forgot to mention that I am using the Jonathan Roberts City Style. I really love his style of map making. I also appreciate all the tutorials and useful information he has posted on his website.

### Latest WIP ###Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tarkas Improved.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	109690

Created a new background in Autodesk Sketchbook which I am quite pleased with. Did about six layers and played around with he blend modes to get the look I wanted. So glad to get rid of the quilted look of the tiled background.

Name:	Tarkas with Cartouches.png 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	109692

Added scale and compass rose

Name:	Tarkas edit3 Reduced size.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	109701

Did some work on it in Sketchbook and Photoshop. My first time using Photoshop. I have got a lot to learn.

The new background is a definite improvement. I think it looks great.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Thank you, Larb. I am getting a lot of inspiration and ideas from the amazing maps posted by members here.

This is a neatly-done little settlement, but I think you need to make a decision on that key. Either ditch the scroll framework or choose lettering that looks at least somewhat like it belongs on the scroll. Floating above its shadow, unaffected by the shadows falling on the scroll itself, in white letters edged in black, about the only way the text could clash more with a scroll is if it were in glowing green "futuristic" letters. I don't say that it needs to be some fancy "handwritten" font with simulated ink-bleeding, but it should at least lay flat on the scroll, and the text would be more readable, as well as more suitable, if in plain black or similarly dark color. Or just remove the scroll and let the key float above the grass, where it should have better contrast. Actually, I think that would be the first thing to try, as the floating compass rose and scale already appear there. Divorce the key text from the scroll and it should float in harmony with all the similar elements of the map.

Big improvement on the latest version of the Wasteland, by the way. I think it has improved just as much from the original as the grass has.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast