Thread: As Yet Unamed, and unfinished.

Default As Yet Unamed, and unfinished.

Hi Guild folk,

I hav ebeen working on this for sometime now and it is nering completion, so I wonder if anyone has any comments to offer to aid in the finish? Obviously there's a border and legends etc., to add and areas of the city still to detail, but any comments would be welcome.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	As Yet Unamed.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	7.17 MB 
ID:	110071
    "Mind is Emergent of Matter"

I think you've done a good job on this map, MPG, but it's a bit hard to comment when there's very little information about what's where. That green island in the middle, for example - are those trees? Also, what are the dark brown districts?

Some things that stand out straight away to me:
    --Is there a land-route into the city and, if so, where is it?
    --There are a few places where the roads clearly go over the top of the building outlines. I think it might look better if you remove the road layers altogether, and allow the thicker spaces between buildings to indicate what is public space and what is built space.
    --I really like that you have incorporated lots of courtyards and alleyways into your city. You could try to add some buildings *within* those courtyards, as that would often be the case in historic cities

Hope some of that is helpful

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Hi Wingshaw,

Thanks for the commetnts, and to answer;
    -- Those are a stand of nine trees at the centre (Giant Sequioa), though they appear better defined on the Photoshop version which i will keep an eye on now.
    -- The dark brown districts are timber decking standing on piling into the sea bed and I still havent figured a way of showing the timber aspect yet.
    -- There is no land route to the city, though there is an 'aquaduct' flowing left to right.
    -- I will experiment with the roads and see if your idea works better. There are several places where the roads traverse the cliffs, and that isnt obvious at all so your way might help define those routes too.
    -- Certainly the buildings are far from complete and I will look at the courtyards etc. All the buildings except a few notable exceptions yet to be drawn are timber built.
    -- I will be deliniating the various districts (15-20 off) with a 'border' and referencing them in in the legend so hopefully that will help with the sparcity of information regarding what is what.

Thanks again, and if you see anything else that might make a difference please just say so.

MPG
    "Mind is Emergent of Matter"