Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hi

Just my one and a half cents here, but it would also depend on what kind of supernatural theme (romance, action a adventure, horror, and so on) you are using and what kind of audience/reader you are hoping to attract.

Taking a quick look at the covers gave me the impression of romance which isn't my cup of tea. That being said, and as mentioned earlier, book covers do influence potential readers these days, so if your books include action, mystery, horror, or other supernatural elements, you might look into finding a way to include those elements in the cover art.

As for world building, if it is only for the story you intend to write, the best suggestion I can offer is to not go overboard with it. Develop the world as much as needed only for the story you are going to tell. If the characters are only going to be in "kingdom A" and might meet people from "kingdoms B and C" there is no need to work up details for "kingdom D." In a similar fashion the characters (and readers for that matter) don't need to know all the details of the respective "kingdoms," just those that are pertinant to the story. It is a slick and steep slope when it comes to world building sometimes, one I've found myself sliding down more times than I would like to admit.

Oh and welcome to the guild!
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 10-01-2018 at 11:55 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Member

Niekell, my novels aren’t that sort of paranormal. They’re about vampires and were-creatures (try not to roll your eyes now, people, lol), so there is no maps to include in those stories. I’m on this site for a different story that isn’t published yet.

Greason, thank you for the advice and food for thought. And, thank you for the welcome .

My two cents on world building.

The more you know of your world, the better. The are details you should know about your world that you may never share with your reader, but they will enable you to convey your world with so much more depth. The challenge with typical fantasy writing is they are set in a world totally fabricated in your imagination. Which means the only facts and data that exist are those that you create. The more you create, the deeper the backdrop for the story. It is amazing how much you can learn about your story while doing a map. And the more you know, the richer the telling.

That said, you have to know when enough is enough or you will never get to the writing, which is the whole purpose of being a storyteller.

Guild Member

Thanks, Jake

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123