Thread: Historical map request

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Historical map request

Hello all! I hope that I can generate some leads here. I understand many of you are fantasy cartographer types, but I'm looking for something perhaps easier, perhaps more difficult in a way.

I am working towards my History MA in Medieval Germany and have not come across a map that suits the needs of my thesis, concerning the expansion of Germany (HRE) from 912CE to 936CE. I can provide literature analysis of said expansions, and would need the map to be as historically accurate as possible, as it will be included in my thesis (which has the potential of being published, but I'm nowhere close to finishing, so that aspect remains to be seen).

I understand that this is potentially a large undertaking, though as I'm still a student, my budget is limited. Depending on how these things work, if you can use an existing map, say a topographical map, as a starting point (copyrights and editing existing maps are strange territory to me) and work in cities and rough political boundaries that were present at the time, then create a series of 'new' cities/forts and move the political boundaries accordingly for each iteration of the map.

As for style, I'm working this into a presentable paper, so black-and-white with basic lines is OK and workable, but if someone could do it on a topographical overlay that would be better. My time-frame is rather open-ended, as the first draft of my paper will not be due until mid December 2018, and that need not necessarily include the map, but it would be helpful to me to flush out some of the more spatial elements in my thesis.

I do not know how much what I am asking would cost on the open market and have the potential for limited funding, so quotes would be appreciated, or should anybody be OK with getting credit in a potentially published paper, that would be even better (again- I'm a student with limited options). The publishing, so those of you who are unfamiliar with most thesis publishing, would not generate any revenue and would likely cost me money instead, unless somehow through said initial publication I won a research contract (highly unlikely).

If you are interested in embarking with me on such an endeavor, please email me at reisetterkp at gmail dot com

Hello I have done historical map and other cartography and I am interested in your commission, you can check my works here and contact me on deviant art here

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Thanks to all whom responded, I believe I have something suitable arranged now!