Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GIMP 2.10 vs Krita vs ???

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    I know Gameprinter uses Xara.
    Yes, he gets amazing results with it, but I checked it out years ago and it was a few miles out of my price range

Quote Originally Posted by Sam101 View Post
    Krita has nicer brush engines (more than one!)than Gimp and non-destructive filter layers (like PS adjustment layers).
    That is really helpful info! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I prefer Krita for free software, I think it has allot more going for it then gimp though I can’t speak to the newest version of Gimp since all it wants to do is crash on my computer... and forgive me if I’m wrong but I believe Voolf uses Krita for his maps and he creates some of the nicest work on the forum so I think it’s worth a try. If I absolutely could not afford to keep up with my photoshop subscription (which is only 20 dollars a month Canadian) then I would shell out a few bucks for clip studio, and they have sales often enough so you can get it pretty cheaply if you’re patient.
    Thanks! Yeah, the photoshop subscription isn't that *expensive* it's just that they won't unbundle it (I asked) and that ticks me off.

Quote Originally Posted by AzureWings View Post
    Hearing all this is making me want to give Krita a try myself...

Regarding tablet lag Gidde, I haven't really noticed any significant tablet lag with either GIMP version (using a rather old Wacom Intuos Pro), except for whenever I move the pen from distant to close proximity with the tablet surface, or vice-versa (I got so used to keeping the tip near the surface at all times when drawing because of this that I almost forgot about it). I don't think that experience differed for me between 2.8 and 2.10 either.
    Thanks! That tells me my lag issues are *me* not Gimp, which is valuable info

Quote Originally Posted by Tenia View Post
    I have to have a look on Krita. I switched from Gimp to Artrage (pro) more than one year ago, I've never regretted my money and I mainly use it, except for some little annoying things (see below) I was at the beginning attracted by the paint tube and knife tool, but now I mostly use watercolors and ink pen. Concerning the feeling of drawing or painting, compared with Gimp, it is day and night. Beware however that, if Artrage rocks at digital painting it is not specially friendly for some mapmaking features: For example there is no mask layer (althought the stencil tool can be used at), the selection tool really s.cks (the selection "dots" can not be hidden, you can not extend or reduce the selection, etc.) and it has a very limited number of filters (but you can import some photoshop ones)
    Oooooh, that sounds awesome! As a bonus, Artrage is on sale right now AND has an unlimited demo! Downloaded. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by KCRileyGyer View Post
    The only issue is to make sure the tablet is turned on before opening Gimp. When compared to older Gimp tutorials, it is obvious there are some changes to the new version but the only thing I truly find as different (based on the tutorial that's a few years old) is the way the multiply in the layer mode behaves. I haven't had a chance to work out a workaround to that.
    You know, that may be the key to the lag I had/have with Gimp! Thanks!!! I'll see what I can do about updating that old tut.

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    I do believe I was told Krita is better for use with a tablet, but I haven't used it and very rarely use gimp too.
    Thanks!

Well after all this fantastic info, I have decided to download Gimp, Krita AND Artrage (at least the demo for now). Thank you so much everyone!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Yes, he gets amazing results with it, but I checked it out years ago and it was a few miles out of my price range
    Its free for linux:
    http://xaraxtreme.org/download.html
    You could run that from windows via a virtual box.

I use Gimp and Krita and a few other programs. Gimps bugs are annoying but not bad enough to warrent not using it. But some aspects of the UI are better doing on other programs - like placing text for example. Gimp is not so good at that. Otherwise its a farly good raster package and has good import and export abilities.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-03-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Giddie, Krita is by far the best free alternative to PS out there. IMHO it is even better than PS regarding drawing (not photo edditing).
    It has options to set shortcuts simillar to PS (there are still some differences, but not as many and weird as Gimp).
    If you used PS so far, it may be hard to switch to Kita at first, but once you get familiar to it, it's really great tool.

Worth checking out:
    Affinity Photo - I own a copy. You buy it once and you get all updates, no subscription. It is as awesome as PS, though may still have some bugs. I bought it last year, but not use it due to Wacom lag input bug. it's been fixed some months ago and it works like a charm, but for some reason i grow too fond of Krita, and just don't feel like switching to Affinity. Still poweful tool, if developed right way, may beat PS in near future.

Paint Tool Sai - also great tool for digital drawing. Usually used by comic/manga artist, but can be used for maps as well.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Another program to throw in for consideration is Autodesk SketchBook which is now a free program. I use it and it is my preferred drawing program. There are a fair amount of brushes that are available for it that are also free for download.

Quote Originally Posted by KCRileyGyer View Post
    While I do have Gimp 2.10, I'm also a beginner and know next to nothing about the program. I also used a new basic Wacom tablet with it and have no lag with it. The only issue is to make sure the tablet is turned on before opening Gimp. When compared to older Gimp tutorials, it is obvious there are some changes to the new version but the only thing I truly find as different (based on the tutorial that's a few years old) is the way the multiply in the layer mode behaves. I haven't had a chance to work out a workaround to that.
    If you set the layer modes to legacy then they'll behave like in the olden days
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Its free for linux:
    http://xaraxtreme.org/download.html
    You could run that from windows via a virtual box.

I use Gimp and Krita and a few other programs. Gimps bugs are annoying but not bad enough to warrent not using it. But some aspects of the UI are better doing on other programs - like placing text for example. Gimp is not so good at that. Otherwise its a farly good raster package and has good import and export abilities.
    Yeah, text on Gimp has always been icky. I was hoping that had been resolved in 2.10 >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Giddie, Krita is by far the best free alternative to PS out there. IMHO it is even better than PS regarding drawing (not photo edditing).
    It has options to set shortcuts simillar to PS (there are still some differences, but not as many and weird as Gimp).
    If you used PS so far, it may be hard to switch to Kita at first, but once you get familiar to it, it's really great tool.
    I used both (old) Photoshop and Gimp 2.8, so yeah, Krita is a little weird, but I'm starting to get somewhat used to it. I may have questions for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Jake View Post
    Another program to throw in for consideration is Autodesk SketchBook which is now a free program. I use it and it is my preferred drawing program. There are a fair amount of brushes that are available for it that are also free for download.
    I may give that a try once my brain stops hurting from trying to learn these ones

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    If you set the layer modes to legacy then they'll behave like in the olden days
    Good info!!

Well, after fighting with Gimp 2.10 to recognize my tablet (it won't, no matter what I do), I've been playing with Krita and ArtRage all day. I am REALLY liking ArtRage, but I'll probably keep messing with all 3 and switch stuff back and forth like I used to with Gimp and PS. I wish I'd have had ArtRage for when I was planning out that photo challenge; the "reference" feature is REALLY cool and would have helped!

I used both (old) Photoshop and Gimp 2.8, so yeah, Krita is a little weird, but I'm starting to get somewhat used to it. I may have questions for you!
    Sure, but better send me a PM here, or email. I don't browse forum as often as before and i may easily miss your questions.

I wish I'd have had ArtRage for when I was planning out that photo challenge; the "reference" feature is REALLY cool and would have helped!
    I am not familiar with reference in ArtRage. But if it's just adding a refference image to the side of canvas, Krita also has that option
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

Really? I haven't found it. I'll have to dig more.

When you drop image directly on the canvas, you will get a pop up menu with options like

insert as New Layer
    Insert as a File Layer
    Open in New Document
    Open as Reference Image

You can also select tool called "Reference Images Tool" and then in tool options docker (or toolbar, depending on Krita configurations) you have options to add/delete reference images and change their opacities and saturation.

New Horizons

Support:

Thanks! I'll look into that

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast