Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Image stitching programme

Personally, I've found the user interface of the Windows program Paint.net to be much more usable than Gimp's. Even so, trying to match and overlay image boundaries can be extremely frustrating when working with very large files.
    Selden

Don't use GIMP then, use Krita. There are lots of tutorials for that (this guy, GDquest, especially). It's more of a painting program though, GIMP is definitely more powerful, I think, for image manipulation.

I did come across Hugin which is an image stitching program thanks to this thread over on the GIMP forums. Might be worthwhile to give it a go.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by selden View Post
    Personally, I've found the user interface of the Windows program Paint.net to be much more usable than Gimp's. Even so, trying to match and overlay image boundaries can be extremely frustrating when working with very large files.
    this is why i have been using Nip2 for MANY years

it's first main use IS in joining images of paintings scanned with a spectroscope
    that and i can load a 25 GIG image and work on the whole thing

see post #6

on post #3 ( of the link )i posted the nip manual ( pdf ) see page 14 of the pdf
    nip can use tie points or just join left to right or top to bottom
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Blog Entries

I am definitely going to try this Nip2. I have been searching for an app to do something like that for ages. I wrote a program that you can set up a text file containing lists of coords and their respective real world positions and then the program will warp the input image to an output image correcting for it. For example, you can scan a map in with a grid ref over it and my scanner would be a little bit out. So by correcting it, the program would warp the image such that the grids all lie exactly correct. Then I would manually stitch the pieces together because they would all line up perfectly. Without the grid tho its a bit harder. Having an app which could tie up points between two images would be a great asset. I know of many apps that can make panoramas like Hugin and the Panotools set, and these can tie up multiple points across images, but these all use a stationary camera being rotated to make up the final image instead of a moving camera over a flat image.

So thanks Jon I know that I will look at that as a solution to the problems that I have had doing something similar to the OP.

Blog Entries

just be patient using nip , it is a bit " odd"

one way to think of it is excel( spreadsheet ) for images but once you wrap your brain around it it is rather easy to use
    -- once you get past it's oddness , that is .

now i have been using it for years so it is one of my " go to" tools , so just be patient .
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

Blog Entries

Ok cool. I had some oil paintings recently that would have benefitted from being scanned with my digicam for more res. And there was a 15 feet x 10 feet map I had to do a couple of years back that we took about 50 photos of but never got stitched up well. I normally use my ViewingDale app like I use for all the collaborative mapping we do on the guild but thats a touch different because all of the map images do not come off of the same source. I used it on that big map but I really needed warping of all the photos to make it fit.

So yeah ill give it a real good shot because I need something to do this kind of job and I dont know of anything else that works well. You have some interesting tools that you use so I am always keen to hear what you use - and I am also running on penguin power which helps.

D'you have a link to nip2 John? I can't seem to find it.

Blog Entries

I have just downloaded it and have been playing with it for the last hour or so. You can get it from the official repository here:

https://github.com/libvips/nip2/releases

Get the setup.zip for windows and unzip it and then use it to install it.

On linux I found it was installed by default on my machine as I dont recall getting it before (though its possible that I did).

As John said its different but its not difficult to use. Read through the mosaic feature in the help file. I am finding that for a scanner it works extremely well but for photos of a map esp like the ones I had where the angle changed and so needed some warping for the images then it was not quite so good. The app seems to be able to mosaic based on one or two tie points. Two points is good for scanner stuff but only applies an offset and rotate to the matching images. The app I wrote took in more than 9 so as to be able to compute a pair of cubic warps in X & Y to the image to match it better. But mine is a pain to use and this one has a nice GUI. This app will be my goto app for doing this kind of thing but I can see that I may need to use my warping app in some cases to get it match it perfectly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12