Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Image stitching programme

Default Image stitching programme

I tried scanning an a3 map with a4 scanner and to stitch it with gimp earlier this year. It was hell. And now I want to share an a3 map here,I need your help. If you've scanned large maps with a smaller scanner, what did you use, and what was easier? Warning - I get terribly muddled with technology and if you get involved you might want to hit me with a pan.
    Just go easy. Go easy on me.
    Thanks in advance! (:

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

I've always used Gimp in the past and didn't find it all that bad. I imagine the technique would be the same in PS, Krita or whatever you use for your mapping. The trick is to make a new image, set the canvas to the size of the whole, and then import each section as a layer. Set one piece in the correct spot, and then make each successive layer semi transparent in order to get the correct spots overlapping. Then bump the new layer up to full opacity and work on the next. The whole process shouldn't take more than 30min to an hour, depending on how many pieces you have to put together.

Guild Expert

Have you considered using a camera? There are several tutorials on YouTube on how to digitize large art works for reproduction using DSLR cameras. I’m having issues with paper size myself and I’m finding that my camera does a better job at capturing the colours anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    I've always used Gimp in the past and didn't find it all that bad. I imagine the technique would be the same in PS, Krita or whatever you use for your mapping. The trick is to make a new image, set the canvas to the size of the whole, and then import each section as a layer. Set one piece in the correct spot, and then make each successive layer semi transparent in order to get the correct spots overlapping. Then bump the new layer up to full opacity and work on the next. The whole process shouldn't take more than 30min to an hour, depending on how many pieces you have to put together.
    I shall have to try again then.Hopefully it will not go as bad as last time. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Have you considered using a camera? There are several tutorials on YouTube on how to digitize large art works for reproduction using DSLR cameras. I’m having issues with paper size myself and I’m finding that my camera does a better job at capturing the colours anyway.
    I don't have a camera, nor the money to buy one.But thanks anyway.

I was watching this texture video and this guy describes a photoshop tool that can do this here: https://youtu.be/a8d6p-E4KSE?t=347

Blog Entries

see post #3 here
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post387707

i use a program called Nip2 for doing things like this
    --- 90 seconds to Midnight ---
    --------

--- Penguin power!!! ---

I tried with Gimp once more, ended up dropping my burning arms after some time, with a splitting headache. I got so infuriated that I stopped adding layers after only three, and it seems the image which I thought I'd saved as a jpg cannot even open for me. I don't even know what I'm talking about...
    Thanks for the replies johnvanvliet and Falconius. I'm about to try Gimp once more, once I'm sane again.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    I tried with Gimp once more, ended up dropping my burning arms after some time, with a splitting headache. I got so infuriated that I stopped adding layers after only three, and it seems the image which I thought I'd saved as a jpg cannot even open for me. I don't even know what I'm talking about...
    Thanks for the replies johnvanvliet and Falconius. I'm about to try Gimp once more, once I'm sane again.
    I don't know why people struggle with GIMP. Except if your PC can't handle it. I used to run GIMP 2.6 on an old XP machine, that was frustrating sure. But, with GIMP 2.10 I am quite happy. Anything you want to know specificly?
    (I have to say, making sure to EXPORT to a jpeg versus just Saving (which is xcf, can be a bit confusing at first.))

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    I don't know why people struggle with GIMP. Except if your PC can't handle it. I used to run GIMP 2.6 on an old XP machine, that was frustrating sure. But, with GIMP 2.10 I am quite happy. Anything you want to know specificly?
    (I have to say, making sure to EXPORT to a jpeg versus just Saving (which is xcf, can be a bit confusing at first.))
    For me Gimp is one of the most unintuitive software out there.
    People who start learnig it spent half time fighting with the interface. Nothing is where it "suppose" to be (by standarts). I am not saying that it should, but Gimp has some so strange shortcuts and weird implementation, it gets people frustrated while using it. Personally I feel like it dosen't work with you, it works against you.

That being said, once you master Gimp, it is good software that allows you to make really great art.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    I saved to xcf first time, went back and saved to jpg, tried to upload it on the guild for help, (too big to upload) and then tried to open it as a normal image, which did not work. Punched the computer eighty-seven times, then closed it and took aspirin.
    The problem isn't how the computer responds to GIMP. It's that Gimp makes no sense to me. When I ask for help,I follow the tutorials- and they're just that, tutorials. When they don't work out, I have no idea why - I only followed a tutorial! I know I sound like a crazed pessimist, but it seriously drives me wild!

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    For me Gimp is one of the most unintuitive software out there.
    People who start learnig it spent half time fighting with the interface. Nothing is where it "suppose" to be (by standarts). I am not saying that it should, but Gimp has some so strange shortcuts and weird implementation, it gets people frustrated while using it. Personally I feel like it dosen't work with you, it works against you.

That being said, once you master Gimp, it is good software that allows you to make really great art.
    Well, Gimp is sort of the only software I've used, so I can't compare. But yeah it's quite messy... I haven't done a single gimp coloured map without plaguing the guild with questions, which is why I've only been doing watercolour for a few months now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast