Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Town Düsterrode

Professional Artist SteffenBrand's Avatar

Default The Town Düsterrode

Hey everyone! =)

Düsterrode is a small town that has to defend itself against orcs and wild animals towards the forest. Style wise I wanted to try something different, push it a little to capture the feel of morning. The colors are a bit held back, which is a deliberate choice here because it works very well with the other maps.

While many ask: No, there was no 3D-Software involved at any point of the creation process. I usually just draw some perspective lines (here we have a 3-Point-Perspective) and start from there. After quite a bit of aligning - to be honest - so it looks good in the end.

Translation of the Key:
    01 House of the Village Mayor, 02 The ‚Sylvan Tavern‘, 03 Blacksmith, 04 Temple of Peraine (Peraine is the Goddess of Agriculture and Healing), 05 Bothie of the Huntsman, 06 Graveyard / Borons Ground (Boron is the God of Death, the kind of blissful Forgetfulness that helps to overcome, Dreams, and Silence), 07 Well, 08 Farmsteads, 09 Watchtower

Düsterrode is but a small part of the bunch of maps in the Beginners Box of ‚The Dark Eye‘ soon to be published. © Ulisses Spiele GmbH, 2018

I really hope you like it, I'm really proud of this one. I don't know why exactly, but in my eyes it fits so well within the game and I went a route I don't do often (or: enough :D). Thank you all, you here are such a great community empowering me to push myself more and more. I can't tell you how happy I am to be here! Best wishes, Steffen =)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSA5_A_009_Das_Dorf_Duesterrode_A4_SteffenBrand.jpg 
Views:	1999 
Size:	740.5 KB 
ID:	111333
    Visit me on ArtStation.

It's a very nice looking village. It has me tempted to try something similar for one of the mapvember prompts.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Great work, Steffen, you've done really well on this one. I think you captured the morning feeling quite well, as well as a kind of sombre feeling of decay and gloom (which I like a lot; reminds me of computer games like Diablo I)

I really like all the life you've included around the town, and I appreciate the translation of the legend: I always miss out on a lot of the content of your maps because I don't speak German.

The only thing that I'm wondering a little bit about: if the danger comes from the forest, why is the watchtower on the other side of town?

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

This is exceptional! You should be rightfully proud of this one Steffen, it's not only masterfully drawn it also just drips character. And the 3 point perspective has been expertly used and works so well alongside the shadows which provide direction to the map.

It's just fantastic

@Larb: Thank you! =) Well, if it is a challenge, why not give it a try. Mapvember seems like a good opportunity to try new things =)

@Wingshaw: Thank you so much! Translations is something I try to do if I have time and it isn't too much of a hassle. In this sense, the blame is fully with me and a busy work schedule, I can't expect anyone to speak German. The watchtower situation is easily explained (in my mind): The thing started out as basically just a Watchtower on a road. Then there were some fields to sustain the people there, the thing grew and even got a barricades. If you look closer, there are two wooden constructions, each of them overlooking an entrance that are keeping an eye outside now. But the third (and last) orc campaign dates back almost 30 years now and wasn't successful.

@Weery: Thanks, Weery! =) Yeah, without the shadows it just looks flat. Dynamic somewhat, but very flat. Thanks again =)
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Guild Expert

Brilliant as always, I really like the feel of this one. You definitely pulled off the lighting, it’s really nice.

Thank you kacey! =)

Ah, btw, I have the construction here if someone is interested =)
    Best wishes, Steffen

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIP__DSA5_A_009_Das_Dorf_Duesterrode_A4_SteffenBrand.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	111344
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Really nice work Steffen, as usual ;P
    The lighting and mood are very nice.

As usual, thank you J.Edward for both your kind words and the rep.
    Man, we are getting quite the routine here... ;P
    Visit me on ArtStation.

Great map ! Excellent render of a morning light indeed. And I love your lineart, as usual.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast