Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need districts but don't know how many

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    According to Medieval Demographics Made Easy (I trust his research so that I don't have to do my own), 1 sq. mile of farmland can sustain 180 people. So you're looking at about 18,000 people tops. You may be able to push that to 25,000 based on your magical farmland, but I wouldn't go much higher than that.
    Magic only has limits if you want limits.

Your estimation is for the total population of the area = rural + urban.
    The urban population is generally 5-10% (15% in a very rich region).
    So that give a city of more or less 2000 people.

Also, with 180 people per square mile, that's about twice the highest estimation for the population density of France before the black death.
    You need a subtropical climate to sustain these numbers without magic.

i am beginning to lose myself with this project. i mean the more i learn about it the more confusing it gets i can't have a complete symmetrical city as that is unnatural and then the number of people is wrong as there is not enough land available in the area and unless there is a heavy magical influence there is no way to do it and while i don't mind heavy magical areas in my game that is not going to work for this particular city. if only i understood all of this and could put it all together in a way that makes sense. i can't wait to get the money just to buy a map that works for me i just need like 500 bucks to do that. that's gonna be awhile sorry for bothering you guys you have been very helpful and i appreciate it all.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

180 people sustained by a square mile of cropland is actually a different figure than population density, which he has topping out much lower. It's to estimate the actual area of settled land within the country after you've figured out your population based on your pop density figure.

Edit: Jaekaido, don't get discouraged. It's always an option to toss realism right out the window so that it works for your game

The best thing in my experience to do with all this knowledge is to take it in, and then just make stuff up. The stuff you took in will inform the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaekaido View Post
    i am beginning to lose myself with this project. i mean the more i learn about it the more confusing it gets i can't have a complete symmetrical city as that is unnatural and then the number of people is wrong as there is not enough land available in the area and unless there is a heavy magical influence there is no way to do it and while i don't mind heavy magical areas in my game that is not going to work for this particular city. if only i understood all of this and could put it all together in a way that makes sense. i can't wait to get the money just to buy a map that works for me i just need like 500 bucks to do that. that's gonna be awhile sorry for bothering you guys you have been very helpful and i appreciate it all.
    Don't give up, Jaekaido. I think the speed with which this thread received answers shows how much this community wants to help you. However, if you ask a bunch of enthusiasts you'll get some very thorough and sometimes very complicated answers.

I think the best first step is to put together a map - even if it is just a quick sketch - and post it to the Town/City mapping thread. It's easier to provide constructive criticism when there's more to see. I'd recommend adding as much information as you can, as that also helps people know what you're aiming for, and help you get there

This community is a wonderful way to develop your skills, but it can be a bit over-whelming, occasionally.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Yes, making things realistic can get in the way of creativity.
    Sometimes it's good to have constrains as it limits the number of possibilities, make things less random.
    Not everyone is interested in that level of realism like I am.
    I also tend to insist on little details, like the buildings in the Witcher that have no door, not even fake (painted) doors.

Indeed, many fantasy worlds ignore elements of realism and most people aren't bothered.

okay so first step make a map. i am guessing that you mean the map of the city. if that is the case how do i produce high quality terrain is such an old program. i am using photoshop cs3 and i don't have access to a newer version as i am waiting on money to come in and even then it might be a while. is there a good quality alternative that can keep up with the features of photoshop that is cheaper or free?

just so everyone knows i am not a very patient person as i have a brain injury and i might forget what i am doing if i don't do it all at once.

EDIT: let me say that it would be better if i knew all the steps in making a map as i know that there many different styles and i have yet to find one that looks good in cs3, at least in my opinion.
    Last edited by Jaekaido; 11-11-2018 at 06:00 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

PS CS3 will be fine; many of the tutorials are for older versions of software anyway. Try Ravells's tut (here) or any of the other city building tutorials in that section. I like his because he goes into a lot more than just the software techniques, in a nice step-by-step way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    PS CS3 will be fine; many of the tutorials are for older versions of software anyway. Try Ravells's tut (here) or any of the other city building tutorials in that section. I like his because he goes into a lot more than just the software techniques, in a nice step-by-step way.
    Yeah that's my favourite tutorial on cities too. It's what I always immediately think of when some one asks for a recommendation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12