Thread: Differences in spelling

Default Differences in spelling

Hi Folks.

I was working on a building layout recently (you can find it in my album if you are interested), and while I was labeling the floors I realised that the UK (where I am based) and the US have different naming conventions; we use Ground floor, first floor, etc while I believe America starts with first floor and works up. The same could be used when designing an armoury/armory and so forth, and it got me wondering whether regional spelling is generally accepted or if people tend to use a universal dictionary?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaperGriffin View Post
    Hi Folks.

I was working on a building layout recently (you can find it in my album if you are interested), and while I was labeling the floors I realised that the UK (where I am based) and the US have different naming conventions; we use Ground floor, first floor, etc while I believe America starts with first floor and works up. The same could be used when designing an armoury/armory and so forth, and it got me wondering whether regional spelling is generally accepted or if people tend to use a universal dictionary?
    That's really not a matter of spelling, it's a difference in semantics."First floor" is spelled the same, but means something different. Regional or other variations with a language, including spelling, semantics, vocabulary, and pronunciation are "dialects" (Sometimes they are called "accents" but strictly speaking an accent is when you are speaking a second language and your native language bleeds through)

So yes, some people do condialects either as fictional dialects of real languages or if they are making a conlang, they split it into dialects. Generally on a map you would stick to one dialect or language even if the area covered has different dominant dialects or languages. The important thing is that the map be readable to whoever is reading it. This might vary if the subject of the map were the language itself or if it's for navigation by signs like a roadmap in which case what's on the signs is the most important thing.

People generally use the naming conventions and spellings that are native to their area. (Or that they learned if they are using a second language.)
    The meaning is usually clear enough. Even the ground floor / first floor confusion is usually pretty obvious from the map.

Thanks for the replies folks.

The alchemical workshop looks really nice, by the way.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.