Thread: [WIP] Welcome to the UnderDark: Drow City

Wip [WIP] Welcome to the UnderDark: Drow City (UPDATED #2)

Any advice would be great. Always wanted to draw exotic locations - so I just started drawing and this is what emerged.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6E55C708-1F84-40A0-B999-28A22A63C930.jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	111405

iPad Pro with Apple Pencil. Using ProCreate. Started with 2B pencil...then 6B pencil...but now almost exclusively using the Round paintbrush as I like the way it shades suggesting distant structures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	99262E1C-E464-4BC1-8727-E28D6373C754.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	111434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	88E873AE-A047-4D8D-A8A0-A5A4E734B253.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	111433   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62439E7E-03C5-45C9-80CF-116F20432F6D.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	111404  
    Last edited by TavernMage; 11-13-2018 at 12:48 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Oooh, this is a real good start.

Hmmm, feedback.... I think a real important thing in my opinion is to make sure your Vertical lines of your buildings are actually completely vertical. Meaning, it bugs me if something on my own maps is suppose to be vertical but it is not, and then it creates this feeling that everything is leaning to one side. It messes with the senses. So, it would be a good place to start to counteract any leaning effect.

Minor thing, though probably because it is a WIP that the Forum of Destinies are odd to me, the left of the white part is odd to me.

Hope that is some help feedback wise.

I love where you are going with this!!

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Oh! Creepy and original! I love the stalactites hanging from the pathways!
    Last edited by MapMappingMapped; 11-12-2018 at 07:33 AM.

Oh this is wild, and very interesting. I can't wait to see where your going with this.

For criticism; the canvas to map size seems too small. For instance I keep trying to scroll down to try and center some of the lower stuff like the spider breeding place. It feels cut off at the bottom it'd be nice to have a little more comfort room at the edge of the drawing like you have on the other sides.
    For the stairs you have lighter strokes crossing the grain or natural lines of the stairs leading to the Temple of Mind Loyalty. It could be some gauzy obstruction between the POV and stairs, or mystic lighting, I suppose, but in it's current implementation it just looks like an eraser scribble.

“The Watchers” has been added - though I am unhappy about how vertical they are placed - and trying to decide what arrangement would be better for them. (A semi-circle perhaps?)

“The Black River” has a walking path and a series of waterfalls now. I am trying to figure out how to ensure the river looks flat across its entire length.

“The Forum of Destinies” now has knots of tentacled magic stone extending from beneath it down to the black river. I am trying to decide if the inner Forum needs more detailing for the doors in the back.

“The Underdark Gate” towers still need their vertical lines corrected.

“The Temple of Mind” still needs its stairs cleaned up. (They are so small and so far away, figuring out the detailing is a bit of mystery.) Distance hazing has been added as has a inner glow to each doorway.

Name:	88E873AE-A047-4D8D-A8A0-A5A4E734B253.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	111433

Unlabeled:

Name:	99262E1C-E464-4BC1-8727-E28D6373C754.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	111434