Thread: Okryth's Sentence

Guild Apprentice ARockabillyRhino's Avatar

Map Okryth's Sentence

Hey everyone!

Wanted to drop my first draft of a cavern battlemap for some C&C before I use it for play. I would really appreciate any comments; I am really impressed with how my drawing has progressed the last few months, and most of it has to do with the feedback.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Okryths_Sentence.jpg 
Views:	594 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	111576

Anyways, what's a picture without a thousand words (no need to read, it's just the story for any nerds):

Deep under the ruin of Deep Tangle Sanitarium lies a dark secret. 200 years ago, when the Black Dragon that terrorized the town was finally wounded and captured, it was placed in an arcane prison, dug into the ground and protected by arcane locks. Time had mostly forgotten Okryth Painbringer's sentence, and eventually he starved beneath the surface, and a hospital was built on top of his resting place.

But when the earth was shaken during the assault on the former city of Calabra, a minor necromancer and dragon enthusiast, Kal Kazhere, saw an opportunity. Could the earth have destroyed the arcane protections left in this tomb? He practiced his method on other bodies brought up from the shifted ground, perfecting his craft, and terrorizing Deep Tangle in the process. The adventurers arrive to stop Kal Kazhere before he performs his dark act, but he only laughs, as the ritual was already done.

Okryth the Undying has transformed his former prison into a temporary lair, as he gathers his strength. He isn't about to let any tiny sword-holders get in the way of his plans of revenge on the town of Deep Tangle. Or, y'know, the whole being a zombie thing.

Or something I don't know, here is a underground dragon lair I drew.

-John
    Last edited by ARockabillyRhino; 11-20-2018 at 02:33 AM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Eri's Avatar

Really nice lighting from the glowing cracks in the ground. If I were to give one suggestion it seems a bit too dark with the shadowing at parts.

Thanks Eri! Yeah, I added the weird glowing veins and liked the effect, even though I don't know at all what they are.

Yeah, the shading seems off to me as well, I redid it a few times and was never really satisfied with it. It's my first time trying to get multiple light sources going in a map so it's been a struggle. Out of curiosity, which parts seem too shaded? I've been looking at it too long, a second set of eyes might help.

Edit: Ugh, I see a big problem, in exporting as a .jpg, the shadows look so much darker. Any Photohshop wizards out had this problem and know a way around it? I like sharing as jpg instead of full sized png since I draw at pretty high resolution..
    Last edited by ARockabillyRhino; 11-20-2018 at 04:29 PM.

I think the upload limit on png's is 8mb anyways so you might have difficulty even if you wanted to do it that way. I'm not sure about the jpg's they really screw up colour a lot, there should be a bunch of different colour export options in the export menu (I'd think, though I'm not too familiar with PS).

@Falconius, yeah there are a bunch of color options, I'll play around with them. It looks so much better as a png, its crazy how much the colors changed. I should have realized that before posting here ugh, not exactly putting my best foot forward.