Thread: Question about a Christmas Gift for a Cartographer

Question Question about a Christmas Gift for a Cartographer

Hello!

I'm not in to cartography myself, but my roommate is very passionate about it: he's been in the hobby for a few years now, I think. He makes fantasy maps by hand, usually using a whiteboard to brainstorm, then pen and paper to flesh things out. Does anyone here have any recommendations for christmas presents that would be useful to a hobby-cartographer? Thanks, I really appreciate the advice!

It's a lucky roomate you have, logaugh

Random ideas, depending on what he/you love(s)...
    ... for drawing :
    - A good set of fineliners of various size (Copic Multiliners, Micron pen...),
    - A set of good quality charcoal pencils,
    - A set of quills and/or good quality inks,
    - A quill, a bottle of "Blue Ghost" Noodler's ink and an ultraviolet lamp to add secret details on the map (can be super fun for RPG),
    ... for adding colors :
    - A small set of good quality watercolors (extra fine or at least fine, and you don't need a wide range of colors for start),
    - A small set of Copic markers with colors he loves : greens and blues, or grey or sepia tones...,
    - A set of good quality colored pencils,
    ... reference books :
    ... prints of inspiring maps from universes or artist he loves :
    - on InPRNT
    - Game of Thrones maps by Jonathan Roberts

PS : Don't know who you are, guy who implemented the "restore saved message" feature on the website, but I love you ! ^^

No idea what you are looking to spend but you could get him one of these: Tee shirts if you go a couple pages into that thread there is a picture of one someone ordered.

An old hand drawn map of the world can be cool, my wife bought me a giant one and it's totally cool.

I'm not sure if he does traditional or digital but he might need a drawing tablet like a bamboo or an Intuos from Wacom. Those run from like 50 to 500 bucks and more so I guess it depends how you define "roommate".

I don't know about these other folks but I'm a pen/pencil/brush bigot and love my art utensils so a gift certificate to a local art supply store works well. Personally I would be happy with that because I would spend time fiddling around with the brushes until I found the perfect one.
    I think if my wife bought me a brush it likely wouldn't be the one I needed.

If we knew what media your roommate worked in that could help us come up with more specific gift ideas.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

The paper itself is always a really wonderful gift, too. One tends to go through it like crazy. Something like a nice (i.e. Strathmore) drawing or sketch book is a fine inexpensive gesture, whereas big sheets of awesome cold pressed watercolor paper get more expensive and are something he is not likely to get for himself so it's a fantastic gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    The paper itself is always a really wonderful gift, too. One tends to go through it like crazy. Something like a nice (i.e. Strathmore) drawing or sketch book is a fine inexpensive gesture, whereas big sheets of awesome cold pressed watercolor paper get more expensive and are something he is not likely to get for himself so it's a fantastic gift.
    This is a good point. I'm a total cheapskate so I end up chopping my regular sheets into smaller ones all the time. I think I'm always wondering if I'm doing well enough to use a big expensive sheet. <-- that's a mental issue I think because I haven't totally botched a watercolor in years. Old habits just die hard I guess.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Here is an idea that many may not thinking about. When he's drawing his maps... where does he draw them? Does he sit at a desk? Does he lay his supplies down on the floor? Perhaps something as simple as an easel? Or a drawing board? Are his supplies scattered in different places? What about an organizer (carrying case) for his pens/pencils/erasers, paints or what ever he uses? Or a sketchers kit (one that has different colored pencils, straight edges) Or a compass and protractor set for making curves, slopes and edges?
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm