Thread: Canyons to the Abandoned city of Old Akkerberg

Default Canyons to the Abandoned city of Old Akkerberg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Akkerberg Canyons web.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	5.86 MB 
ID:	111698

Hello everyone!
    Last week was my birthday, so here's an extra big map!
    This is actually one of the first maps I started working on in this style, and it shaped the direction I went in.
    But it took me a looong time to finish, and sometimes I wondered if I ever would at all. Yet here it is, and I'm very happy with it!

I created this map for my DnD campaign, where I wanted a maze-like adventure. Looking around online for tips I found that straight-up mazes are boring to play. But the fun could be found in letting people find points of interest, hints and semi-hidden routes. Then, by connecting all the dots they can find the exit.

Creating borders, windroses and other elements for maps is a lot of fun! Now I know why you guys spend so much time on it

I also post close-up previews on Instagram, which I haven't yet shared on threads I make here. So let's change that:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Akkerberg Canyons ig1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	738.8 KB 
ID:	111699 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Akkerberg Canyons ig2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	683.1 KB 
ID:	111700 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Akkerberg Canyons ig3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	710.5 KB 
ID:	111701
    I have a deviantART and an Instagram! Shiny

Nicely done. The coloring is consistent and not so overpowering that it takes away from the map. The zoomed views are a plus.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

What really strikes me besides your usual clean lines is the discreet color palette. You really produce fine chiseled jewels

Very nice! I really like your drawing style. And I second ThomasR about the color palette.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

I really like how many different levels your map has depicted. When I draw maps like this (meaning battlemap style-ish, nothing this nice), depicting changes in elevation is really difficult (so i try to avoid it). Here it is so smooth yet clear. Really impressive and absolutely worth the rep!

The style works well with these type of colors as well, it seems! I've already said how much I enjoy these maps of yours, and this one is no exception. The unique perspective works wonders yet again. And I definitely feel ya, creating those little tidbits is insanely fun - be careful, you might get addicted Otherwise a fine map, but the title box could still use some work, the font you chose does not work in all caps, in my opinion.

Your work is always a treat, will definitely rep if I am able!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

You guys are so very nice, especially about my colors Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    The zoomed views are a plus.
    I will make sure to include them from now on!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    You really produce fine chiseled jewels
    That's the most eloquent compliment I've received I will treasure it

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice! I really like your drawing style. And I second ThomasR about the color palette.
    Thank you Ilanthar!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I really like how many different levels your map has depicted. When I draw maps like this (meaning battlemap style-ish, nothing this nice), depicting changes in elevation is really difficult (so i try to avoid it). Here it is so smooth yet clear. Really impressive and absolutely worth the rep!
    What really helped me with the elevation is to make the edges really clear, and have some overlap. (It's funny how the overlap obscures parts, but makes the whole more clear.)
    What also really would've helped if I allowed myself to use them are shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    And I definitely feel ya, creating those little tidbits is insanely fun - be careful, you might get addicted Otherwise a fine map, but the title box could still use some work, the font you chose does not work in all caps, in my opinion.
    Haha, thank you very much. I'm not perfectly happy with the lettering myself, but I can't quite put a finger on why -it might be the overlap/kerning.
    Also, I'm already feeling the addiction
    I have a deviantART and an Instagram! Shiny