Hey Guild !

It's time to start thinking about my little corner of the world here, so welcome in the Kingdom of Arlys, Land of the Lady

So, I had some fun time those last days with checking the climate and biomes threads, and lurking at what my eminent neighbors did for their countries. I saw ThomRey started to work on his country and mostly focused on climate and geography for now, I read some interesting things about the special salt you can find in the Moonwheel Islands by Southern Crane ("Moonwheel islands", how great is that name !!), also read about Ladiestorm's Yilseudor and as far as I can tell, Wingshaw didn't start yet.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Arlys_general_situation.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	263.2 KB 
ID:	111866

As far as I can tell from the climate and biome thread, Arlys should have a kind of scandinavian climate (please tell me if I'm wrong !!), probably with pretty dry steppes in the northern part, something semi-humid temperate in the middle part, and probably colder in the southern part as it's not that far from the polar latitude which should bring some cold air and water around, maybe with occasionnal icebergs, and very long winters. For the southern part, there's a warm current coming from East, but cold winds from West, so I expect a very unstable weather.

The special shape and position of the country made me think it could be fun to imagine a sort of communication between the eastern and western oceans. Some sort of magic wonder : a giant Panama Canal (with a giant tunnel under the mountains), or more likely a crazy aircraft system to convoy merchandises from an ocean to another. That way, the southern countries would have a faster and safer way to trade with different parts of the world. For example if Thomrey wants to export precious woods to the eastern ocean, or if Southern Crane wants to export special salt to Bogie's Shireland or Robbie's U.K of Azuredawn. It's not as strategical as the Panama Canal or the Suez Canal, but I think any navigator would be happy to use a 99% safe 150 miles shortcut instead of the crazy "warm water current from East + cold winds from West" tempests, frozen sea and icebergs 5000 miles usual navigation route. With of course some good money in my pocket, guys
I would prefer an aircraft system, because... well... because it's an _aircraft system_, of course, but maybe the winds in Arlys are too strong...?

Name:	Arlys_complete_world.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	293.4 KB 
ID:	111868

About the population, I think mountainous northern part and the cold southern part would be pretty sparsely populated, while the central part, having a better climate and interesting commercial opportunities would be more dense.

As for the culture, I'm a little annoyed here... Thomrey talked about a South-American culture, with petroglyphs, etc., while Southern Crane is about Polynesian culture. While I have a deep admiration for those civilizations, it's not exactly what I had in mind for Arlys, even if it can be super interesting to imagine a kind of polynesian/steampunk mix, with aircrafts flying over petroglyphs

Finally, a "quick" coastline and first WIP :

Name:	Arlys_WIP01_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	576.6 KB 
ID:	111869

If someone has any comment or suggestion about... well... anything here, I'm open to any kind of ideas