Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
Don't know about it. The best alternative to Risk for me was always a game my friend really liked, Axis and Allies, and there a huge amount of game balance occurs through the map. This map in the picture is not what I imagined it would be, it looks limited to me, but I don't know the rules and never played the game, and likely making a more detailed map would probably extend the game time to little practical effect.
A&A is an excellent game, but hardly "elastic". the dynamics of the game are deeply embedded in the history and the events of these years, and while enjoy a game of it it would be hard to "mod" it with custom maps.
The "granularity" of the map regions really change with the timespan desired for the game I guess, I'd definitely love to experiment these Europe rules with a larger map too.

My hope is to have now a system where with little tweaking (defining the cities and centers, and possibly the factions' starting points) any map could be adapted to play with it. Looks there's enough "juice" to enjoy even an unbalanced game.