Thread: Temple of the King - a mapvember map

Map Temple of the King - a mapvember map

Hi!

This is a small map I drew in November last year, inspired by the Mapvember prompt list circulating in Instagram. This was quite quick map, maybe a couple of hours, but it ended up nicely and I thought I'd post it here too. I have not made much maps in this scale, and it was a fun to draw and I think I'd like to make more maps with this style in the future. I tried to focus on drawind in stead of planning, but afterwards I think I should have used more time to the lettering of the legend box, the texts doesn't look very good. I also wanted to test how the hachuring effect used in topography would work together with other elements, and I think that test was successful. I tried also to make the paper a bit old by painting it with coffee - the effect is not very strong but it was fun

The map is hand drawn with Micron pens, and it's about 12 x 17 cm in size.

I appreciate if you have some comments or feedback how to improve maps with this style!

The new king was certain he descended from gods, or perhaps was a god himself. Thus, he thought it was necessary to build a temple, so the common people could come to worship him. He found a perfect place for the temple from an old fortress standing on a hill near the picturesque village of Little Dufferton. The king built a grandiose temple in the fortress, and a high tower for himself to live in. He also built a new entrance to the fortress, which included a bridge over the lake he renamed King's Water, and a stairway to the hilltop.

The king was overthrown after a few years, but the temple still stands for later generations to wonder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MA Temple of the King CG.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	491.8 KB 
ID:	112691
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia

That's a really nice example of hachure relief! I especially like the ridge directly below the legend.

I have to agree with Joseph here! And the whole map is very pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    That's a really nice example of hachure relief! I especially like the ridge directly below the legend.
    Thank you jshoer! It's great you like the hachures, it has been fun to try learning to draw them and I'm happy they look good!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    I have to agree with Joseph here! And the whole map is very pretty.
    Thank you Ilanthar! I'm happy to hear that.
    www.orbigraphia.com - More maps also in instagram @orbigraphia