Thread: Resource request- Egypt

Help Resource request- Egypt

Hey all,

I'm looking to do a D&D campaign with the standard medieval fantasy tech and races, but set in a country based on the concept that Egypt never lost it's hegemony or identity. I'll fill in the history and how the fantasy races and magic fit in and changed history, but I'd like to find some maps of Egypt and the surrounding nations that show various things like terrain, or resources, or the like. I'm not asking anyone to make these, merely point me to any resources you know of that might help me visualize the region and accurately model its history and growth properly.

I figure it's safe to use the real world geopgraphy, and just replace all the people-made things with fantasy versions.

Thanks much in advance, and I'm happy to answer any questions you might have about the request.

TMO
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

If it were me, I'd start at the local library (or book store) with an atlas of the middle east (or of Egypt if there is one that narrowly focused). Alternatively you could do some web searching starting with Egypt as a general search term, or, perhaps if you are using typical Egyptian gods/goddesses, you could do searches based on them. That method has worked for me in the past, and has the potential to lead you to things you might not have considered before. It's a pretty broad thing you're asking for right now so it is hard to point in a specific direction, but hopefully this will help a bit.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Here's a Google Advanced Image Search for you (set to larger images that are available for reuse and modification non-commercially) and here's an example of a vintage map of Egypt you might be able to have some fun with.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Picking the appropriate time period for your game is very important for Egyptian history as the Nile has moved repeatedly in human history. Wikipedia has some minor references on the subject (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_D...es_of_the_Nile ). The Giza plateau was also quite different historically from what it is today (the Romans may have quarried away Djedefre's pyramid and Cairo was built from the cladding stones on the Giza pyramids).

See also Mulhorand in the Forgotten Realms D&D setting.

Awesome, thank you all! I've been working in Google Earth, plotting the locations of major events that happened before 332 BC and familiarizing myself with real-world history, so that I can figure out the changes I want to make and have that all stable before extrapolating forward.

I'll start looking at all of these links this week.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.