Thread: Moving Photoshop brush/dynamics settings into Gimp

Default Moving Photoshop brush/dynamics settings into Gimp

I had an airbrush with certain settings that I liked in Photoshop CC, and I want to figure out how to replicate those settings in the latest version of Gimp (2.10.. I tried a couple things, but I think Gimp treats some of the settings differently than I expected. How do I produce the same effects as these brush settings?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PhotoshopBrushSettings1.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	112164

Name:	PhotoshopBrushSettings2.PNG 
Views:	26 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	112165

Name:	PhotoshopBrushSettings3.PNG 
Views:	53 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	112166

Name:	PhotoshopBrushSettings4.PNG 
Views:	28 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	112167

Thanks for the assistance!

Have you poked about in the paint dynamics editor? It looks like this...

Name:	dynamics.png 
Views:	25 
Size:	17.2 KB 
ID:	112193

There's more info on Gimp dynamics here.

I've imported brushes from Photoshop before, but I'm not certain how well dynamic settings copy over (it's possible Gimp just can't do what you want it to do). But, have you tried saving the brush with all its settings in Photoshop, then importing that brush into Gimp?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Oh, hey, this was such a simple brush that I only thought of fiddling with the settings - I didn't think of just saving it and moving it to Gimp! Thanks for the idea.

However, I haven't had much luck...my understanding is that I should be able to export the brush from Photoshop - it comes out as an .abr file - and move it to Gimp's brush folders. But when I did that and refreshed Gimp's brushes, I got this error:

Failed to load data:

Error loading 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\brushes\Custom\Detail-Shadow-Brush.abr': Unable to decode abr format version 6.
    Any ideas?

I'm sorry, Joseph. I'm really not sure. I've downloaded various Photoshop brushes from DeviantArt & other places, and sometimes they just don't work and I'm not certain why. Possibly some incompatibility with the newest versions of Photoshop.

Maybe you could post the brush here and see if someone else can get it to work?
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"