Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Novel Map Commission ~ The Far Land

Default Novel Map Commission ~ The Far Land

This is a b&w map I recently finished for a client's fantasy novel. I tried some new techniques with it, by using stippling to shade the mountains and a halftone pattern for the seas. It's a little different, but I'm happy with it and hope to use these methods again in future maps! It's always fun to find new ways to add interest into otherwise flat black and whites. The little icons were a lot of fun too. Done mostly in Procreate on iPad Pro w/Apple pencil, and text rendering in Photoshop. (c'mon, Procreate--give us text capability already!! LOL)

Happy holidays, Carto Guild!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schmidt-Map-DIGITAL.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	961.3 KB 
ID:	112188
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schmidt Map proof 3.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	5.28 MB 
ID:	112187  

That looks really good, LI The only thing I'm not sold on is the texture/pattern in the sea, but other than that it's a great piece.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

It's looking great! I love those icons.
    And I agree with Wingshaw about the sea pattern.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Wow, I love this. Especially the halftone pattern - it really reminds me of the B&W maps in fantasy books of the 70s and 80s, which gets me right in the sweet spot. Sorry I can't rep you right now.

Beautifull.
    Only one thing...
    I noticed the pseudo Italian words used for the cities... they are fine... but the top one " Terun" in Italian is an offensive badword ...
    Last edited by Naima; 12-24-2018 at 05:44 AM.

Looks great, I adore the mountain style on this! The city icons look fabulous and the scrolls raise them even higher! The forests however look a little distracting to me, since they seem to almost mix two different styles, what with the large areas of scattered singlular trees and the larger uniform forests. Maybe it just looks like that to me since the scattered tree areas are usually my preferred way of marking forest areas, I don't know. It's certainly not a huge flaw, and as a whole the map is very well done.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    Beautifull.
    Only one thing...
    I noticed the pseudo Italian words used for the cities... they are fine... but the top one " Terun" in Italian is an offensive badword ...
    Oh really! Oops, haha. Not my world, not my cities, but I wonder if the client is aware

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Wow, I love this. Especially the halftone pattern - it really reminds me of the B&W maps in fantasy books of the 70s and 80s, which gets me right in the sweet spot. Sorry I can't rep you right now.
    Thanks Diamond! Yes, that throwback feel is what I was kind of going for, thanks for noticing!

I'm late but I'm here to say I love it ! The sea filling is genius and the shading on the mountains, though it must have been a real pain in the behind, is gorgeous. I also feel lots of sympathy for you about the forests Great map !

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I'm late but I'm here to say I love it ! The sea filling is genius and the shading on the mountains, though it must have been a real pain in the behind, is gorgeous. I also feel lots of sympathy for you about the forests Great map !
    Thanks! I'll tell you my secret--the mountains were no pain at all, because I found a great set of stippling brushes for Procreate! Just a few brush strokes and voila!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast