Thread: World Building for Pen and Paper Games

Default World Building for Pen and Paper Games

Hi,
    I am trying to create a Pen/Paper or may be Table Top Game. I am looking for some advice.
    My game will be a mixture of Total War Games, Paradox and Civilization Games . I have created a fictional world map based on real life geography, climate, vegetation etc. I want the game to begin on a randomly but logically selected location on the map where the first city of the first civilization will begin. A Universal Calendar called "Age Of Men - AOM" will begin from the foundation of the Civilization.For example my fictional map has a river that flows for some 3000 miles from mountain ranges located in the 60* North Latitude to its delta in the temperate regions in the south. The first city might be built there. However what I need help about is how to organize the game play. Like:
    How the Climate,Terrain,Vegetation,Resources,Buildings and Units will affect the Game?
    Climate: Temperate regions will give +4 Bonus for Food? Arctic regions will give -2 for Food?
    Terrain: Plains will allow for the construction of Buildings such as Farm? Mountains can build Mines instead?
    Vegetation: Desert gives a -2 Attrition to invading Army. Grassland allows +2 Movement speed to Armies?
    Resource: Gold will give +10 Wealth to a region while Elephant will allow the recruitment of Elephant units in the army?
    Building: A Palace increases Prestige Level which decrease the chance of Revolt but a Barrack is needed to recruit Soldier?
    Unit: A Cavalry unit will get +2 Fighting Power while fighting in Plains or Grassland but will get -1 Fighting Power in a Forest or Mountain.

How to design a Map accordingly? How to show Provinces with all this elements? Any advise or suggestion will be welcome?

It's hard to help you without knowing the kind of game you want to make. There are a few game like civ on the market already.

The games you mentionned are really different, the only thing they have in common is that they are all strategy games. For example, Crusader king focus on personal relations and character personalities, Hearth of iron focus on battles, troop movement and supply lines, Vicky 2 had really deep demographics and economic simulation, Europa universalis does a bit of all but is more abstract in general. Also, they do not play on the same timescale. Eu4 span over centuries while Hoi4 only a few years.

They all focus on different things and so the map needs to display what is important. For example, the concept of litteracy is useless in Eu4. From start to end, most people remain illetrate and very little progress is made in the timeframe of the game. But in Victoria, it is an essential part on the game that make sense considering the era it take place in and the mechanics of the game.